FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default CRF150F Teardown and Tuning

I'm not sure how much tuning I'll be doing on this little Honda CRF150 but I'll sure tear it down. I would love to do a little carb work to get it to breath a little more.

For now I just wanted to make the bike be all it could be in stock form. This included general disassemble and lubricate all the suspension bearings and pivot points. The I wanted to make double sure the air filter was cleaned and oiled. Changing the oil in the crankcase was top priority as well as the bike hadn't been used in almost 10 years. This baby even has the stock Pirelli tires on it still. Great little bike.

Why am I messing around with this little Honda? Well it's pretty surprising just how fast this bike scoots down the trail. It's so much fun jumping around from right to left down the trails bunny hopping obstacles and just having a good time. This bike surely comes up short in the sand but our local riding areas are more technical and don't have too many wide open spaces so this bike is a blast to play around on.

It was just a little dirty in general and corroded as it was stored up near the ocean. Then I stripped it down, repainted the exhuast, cranked up the rear suspension, removed the baffle in the muffler, put new Acerbis hand guards and Renthal handlebars on it and wAhZZaM here is what we have now. This is a mean little machine that will catch your friends off guard out on the trail!

Here is a video of me playing around on the CRF150 and I pick up the pace and pass a few of my friends on their larger bikes. This little 150 is a lot of fun.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Last edited by Smithers; 03-14-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Admin

Doing a little looking around on Wikipedia it says that in 2006 Honda used the CRF230 engine with a smaller bore and put it in the 150. That's weird because it then has an even smaller bore than the 150 engine and a tad over 5lbs heavier. I wonder what the deal is with that? Well this is a pre 2006 so we're safe.
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Admin

Here is what I mean by teardown. You basically have to take it all apart to get to the good stuff that needs the lubrication. And since I took the exhuast off I might as well shoot it with some high-temp paint right?

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Admin

I'll have to update this thread it looks like. I did a handful of things to really help the CR150F out.
  • New Dunlop tires were a must and really changed everything
  • I removed the stock baffle out of the exhaust
  • Larger main jet and slightly larger slow jet
  • One tooth larger on the front sprocket helped a ton
  • Clean and lubricate all linkage bearings
  • Acerbis handguards should be mod number one
  • Renthal high bars (super strong)
  • Pro-Taper waffle pattern grips
  • Sparkplug upgrade
  • New Uni air filter
  • Front fork spring spacers (mandatory)
All of the things I did above were relatively inexpensive and made a huge difference. The little CRF is just the easiest bike to ride but with the above mods the bike sure can move and shake right down the trail and hold a pace that really surprises people. I just wish I had something like this to learn to ride on instead of the firecracker of a bike I started on: a 1986 YZ80! Even straight from the showroom floor this the bike needed to richened up quite a bit. The parts to allow more fuel to flow through the carb are near nothing and if you can assemble a radio controlled toy car you can surely install new jets in a CRF150 carb. I'll have more on this later here on the forum.