FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ok you passed the test. You are now invited to come over and paint my truck. Looks great! I'm getting inspired to do some new motorcycle paint myself soon.

p.s. sorry about the server reboot yesterday. this forum isn't going anywhere so don't worry! :->
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Man that would be sweet. Come to San Luis Obispo to do a paint job. Lets see... 1 month prep...1 month to prep the prep...1 month to prime..wait a month to prime again.. 3 coats base..1 month to sand..2 coats again..1 month to sand...clear coat wait, clear coat, wait..1 month to hand polish.

OK 7 months in San Luis Obismo...Every Thursday evening at the street fair.....

I could see it now......
Unread 06-13-2010, 05:29 AM

Hey can I get in on that paint work? Start in November and work on it for ???
Your paint work looks great Spokes. Do you paint outside or put together a spray booth? I paint outside, todays paint drys fast.
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:42 AM

I will share my technique. Real easy.

$15.00 Touch up spray gun from Harbor Freight. I buy several.
$5.00 in line air dryer. Good for one complete job
$99.00 Craftsman Compressor
2 part primer- low VOC
2 part acrylic enamel-low VOC
Face mask designed for Acrylic enamel & solvents. 3M
30 lb spray pressure
$15.00 Box Fan
2 tack rags
1 package of alcohol prep sheets
Disposable gloves-NO POWDER

I have a body shop supply house that provides me with PPG paints and all of the goods.

I spray in my garage near the door with good light. The box fan mover the air. I wet sand between coats. I clean the shop after every step

Never a problem with dust or smell.

Because this is a hobby (trying to be a business) it takes upward of 3 months to complete one of my bag restorations or cycle paint jobs.

I quoted several months Smithers, because once out in California..I would never come back!
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yeah we sure pay the tourist prices for fuel and food though. Kinda sucks but other than that if you can put up with a couple months of intense heat then it's a great place. The airport is AWESOME in Paso Robles. It's seriously the best private airport for all the retired airmen and airplane enthusiasts. I have a couple friends I catch rides with sometimes. Motorcycles are plenty of fun and I like keeping my feet on the ground just fine.

I need a big ol airplane hanger for all my projects and you guys could come hang out. Need to play more Lotto!
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Time Stamp 6-16-10

It's time for wiring. 1st thing was to rewire the original tail light with correct color coded wire.

Next was to build and install the custom bullet light rear turn signals. The fender brackets are from a 1964-1966 Honda CA95. I like the look better than the fender trim on the CA160. Before the final paint job I used the CA95 fender trim as a fixture to drill the hole for the rear signal wiring. The CA95 has the hole already in the frame, the CA160 does not.

I modified the fender trim to fit the bullet lights, rewired the bullet lights to color coded wires (yellow for running lights, red for right turn signal and green for left turn signal).

The fender mounts were polished and the lights installed. The signal lights and the fender trim was built as a module. The access hole in the fender was grommeted and the unit mounted. Later the wires will be run through the under fender conduit. Those pics will follow.

(picture here)

(picture here)

(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Unread 06-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Time Stamp 6-20-10

When I do a restore job, I clean and prepare all of the parts to absolute clean. After painting I allow the paint to cure to fume free. Don't be freaked out that the bike sits in my air conditioned office. For the detail work of wiring and initial assembly, I like to take my time and be comfortable.

In the last few days I have been concentrating on detail. Installing the rubber wire grommets, cleaning rubber bushings and boots and soon I will install the wire harness. The harness will be cleaned as well as all of the connections. Once this is done then back to the shop for the final assembly.
Here is today's pic.

(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Today 6-21-10
The shocks have been rebuilt. The tops were painted with the bike.

(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Unread 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM

6-25-10
While waiting on tires again I have been focusing on wiring and polishing.
The two pics below show that you can find matching gray tape to reinsulate and dress up the wiring (3M Scotch 35 Gray Vinyl Electrical Tape Part# 054007-00072) and I decided to wire the turn signal "winker" in the body of the bike rather than in the headlight bucket. The fuse to the signals is also tucked away in the frame and will be easy to get to. For those of you following this thread, I use red wire for the right signal, green for the left and yellow for power (after the winker). I wired the rear blinkers and brought them into the bike frame with the tail light wiring. I taped the 3 colors to the harness leading up to the front of the bike and used plug in connectors to connect the rear signal wiring. I will follow up soon with the front signal connections.

(picture here)

(picture here)

Unread 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Detail Detail Detail. Here is a pic of the polished handlebar clamp.

(picture here)

Unread 06-30-2010, 01:59 AM

Time Stamp 6-30-10

Although it is completely insane to have a bike in a nice house, remember it is absolutly clean in all respects. Here is a pic of how she stands today. Hopefully in the next two weeks she will be up on wheels.

In the meantime, the turn signals and tail light will be converted to L.E.D. The parts have been ordered. The project slowed a bit due to finances but brighter days ahead.

(picture here)

Unread 07-01-2010, 04:37 AM

I would never call that insane! The bike is looking really nice Chip. I wish you were closer so I could stop by and help out. Maybe get a ride when its driveable, LOL.
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:56 PM

My welcome mat is out should you be in the area.
Today 7-4-10 is wheel and polish day. I pulled the bearings out of both the front and rear wheels. Being that the bike has less than 7K and it was never stored in poor conditions, the bearings are fine. The rims were polished and the insides of the rim (tube side)were cleaned and painted. I have found tires again....3.50 x 16 and they should be here by weeks end. They are closeouts chin-shen c155 (i think) normally $49.00 ea. I got them for $6.and change each off of eBay. I know the 3.50 x 16 should work as I had that size on my 65 CA95. If all goes well by 7-10 or 11 the bike will be on wheels and soon after to be completed. No pics yet, just a pile of shiney parts ready to go.

I have a pair of CA160 fender trim that has been polished like chrome and a real clean swing arm bolt, washers & nut. If anyone is interested let me know. They will be listed on ebay soon.
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:26 AM

7-5-10
Today the bike goes back into the shop and rests upside down to install the polished front suspension and to continue to connect the coil, starting solenoid and make a custom mount for a custom chrome horn. As much wiring will be done at this point and the front fender will be attached.

When it is time my backdoor neighbor, Berry, will help turn her rightside up.
This is a great time to take a couple of pics for reference. It is rare to get a birdseye view from this angle.

(picture here)

(picture here)

(picture here)

The primer you see is a 2 part system. 99.99% of the bike is painted. There are a few spots as you can see that i missed. The 2 part primer system will protect those areas. Some of the primer you see will be covered by parts.

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Time Stamp 7-9-10

This is the last pic upside down. Tomorrow she will be on her wheels. By next week perhaps complete. Once completed the Sixty Eight may be up for sale. One individual has the first right of refusal. If said refusal is forgiven then it may be offered to the public. If sold, another will be started. Maybe back to the CA95 that was put on hold. For me it's the journey more than the destination.

(picture here)