FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 05-10-2009, 07:23 AM
xleonex

Default Help.....ca160

ok im buildin my ca160 the motor was ripped down to nothing. well its all goin back together and im very very proud ill post pics for you all to see...have some questions does anyone know the cam timmin marks position? 0 up? 12 oclock? also valve adjustment procedure? i cant see buying a manual for simple things like this.........any help will be greatly apreciated!
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:33 AM
xleonex

oh ya guys id just like to add my story of my 69,160....i use to play on this bike when i was 4-5 years old in my grandmothers garage when no one was lookin...lol i loved to sit on it and pretent to rev it. my uncle bought the bike drove it one year and was knocked over on it....never to ride it again. my gram had something to do with that im sure. well at 32 now its always been in my family...and as all my grandparents died, i was told if i sell it for my uncle i could have half the money....i declined and told them this bike has so much meaning to me. i wrode 90mph wheelies on my r1 on the express way because i wanted to ride this so bad......so 2 days later and title and keys in hand i walked it home. so the resto begins. i plan to put it back to the original state...1971 it was put away .....2009 it lives again i plan to take the bike and solo seat it...lower bars red line street tires. its not intended to be a show piece for someone to say oh wow! it has the original bolts...lol im looking to improve it and make it bulit proof. better rectifier ect. triumph style mufflers to be diffrent. ill be sure to post for all to see my progress. by the way its black.. some custom hiden mini turn signals maybe
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Awesome! Make it like you want to make it. It's a great engine but it's all 6 Volt so it might be a little tricky to do things with the electrical... nothing you can't figure out. The rectifiers are pretty good so I wouldn't do anything to it. All the rectifier does is convert AC current into DC so it won't need to be updated in any way. If you want to do turn signals I recommend buying regular turn signals and just finding some 6V bulbs to go into them. Easy stuff I'm sure you know.

Save the handlebars and the seat! You can sell them to help pay for your new mods. I can't wait to see some pictures of it. How many miles?

You NEED to find a Honda CA160 manual for your engine build. There is a lot going on in there and the service manuals are simply amazing. They explain every single detail of the bike, the engine, the wiring harness.... You can EASILY get them for under $20 US. You will have a great time reading the vintage manual. They are so much better than what they have today. They explain the functions of components like condensers, regulators, rectifier etc. You will not regret buying a manual!
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM
xleonex

thanks the motor has 3,633
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Admin

WOW that's like new! It should be in perfect running condition then. Pictures!
And what area do you live in? I can't assume anything cause lots of people chime in from around the world about Hondas...
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:06 AM
xleonex

it ran on the second kick believe it or not....i decided to check some stuff and the petcoack was leaking and the motor didnt choke very well so i started to investigate and founf the chock little flap was missing.....lol well it ate it years ago and dinged the crown of the left piston! THE TOP RING WAS STUCK BECUASE OF IT....i was looking to rip it apart though. besides the piston ding everything worked and the cyl are mint so mars or scratches. ...the frame has paint damage from a battery leak under the battery cover . . i live in chicago il.
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Admin

Great to hear there was minimal damage. These bikes start up very easily. It's common that these bikes were set aside because of a problem and then never fixed and used again. I got one of my Hondas because the shifting rod that actuates the clutch was bent, thus, unrideable. It was a good thing because it had a hard life and if they fixed it I'm sure the owner would have run it into the ground and threw it away.

Sounds like the paint damage is also minimal as well.
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
xleonex

when he fell on it paint work as done but it sucks bad....lol i need to redo it...no body damage tho