FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Tire & Suspension Talk

Tire & Suspension Talk The most important handling aspect of every vehicle...

Unread 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Walker Evans Wheels

An interesting write-up of some hints and tips that come into play when installing some Walker Evans rims on your truck for the first time: http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/J..._Beadlocks.htm

Also here is a thread on TTORA with some sick looking Tacos running Walker Evans beadlocks, pretty impressive looking: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130357
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Admin

Alright FINALLY I scored a set of these Walker Evan wheels for my truck! I've been wanting some for years but they aren't cheap. Finally... some new shoes for the Tacoma project. Must say thanks to Jeff out on the East Coast for hooking my up with this deal.

Unread 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Admin

Just making sure they actually fit my truck today as I was putting on my Icon UCA's this afternoon.

Unread 04-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Admin

So this past week I finally got around to picking out some new tires for these Walker Evan wheels. I cleaned the rings and had them powder coated with clear coating to keep the aluminum looking good. Then I took every bolt and every washer to the wire wheel to clean them up to new condition as well. I put every one of those into plastic bags - one for each wheel to make SURE that none of them disappeared. Each wheel has 24 bolts (and a washer for each) to clamp the ring down on the tires to hold it to the rim. This all took a decent amount of time to get them cleaned up good.

Plus I wanted to get every bit of dirt off that lightly coated the inside of each wheel kinda like it was stained with mud previously but the brown haze wouldn't come off. The outside polished area was already really clean but the inner rim was tinted mud color. I quickly grabbed some Eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner. The Eagle 1 chrome or mag wheel cleaner is basically a mix of a little acid in some liquid that allows it to stick to whatever it is sprayed on. If you just put diluted acid on something it will run off like water so this Eagle 1 stuff is basically a thick liquid with acid in it. The acid REALLY does a good job cleaning aluminum and other alloys SUPER well. It shouldn't be left on for very long and it only takes 30 seconds for major cleaning action to kick in. It actually will turn the polished aluminum surface white but this can be polished off with some good polish and a rag. Wear gloves and eye protection for sure. I use acid ONLY with running water within arms reach. In this case a hose with slowly running water works great incase it got on my skin, in my eyes or my hands started tingling. The MAG wheel cleaner is a stronger acid mix than the CHROME wheel cleaner so keep this in mind if you go shopping for some of this stuff. They are both damn good at cleaning/ stripping all metals.

Keep in mind that you don't want to use this Eagle 1 heavy cleaner on polished surfaces. It turns the mirrored finished a little white which will then need to be lightly polished to get the chrome/polish look back.

I basically sprayed it on, waited 20-30 seconds and took an acid brush (resists acid obviously) and went to work. I didn't have to work on any one area more than one minute before it obviously needed to be rinsed clean. This stuff works that well but you just have to remember that it will burn when it gets on your skin so have that water ready. Plus water is the only way to get the dirty acid spray liquid off what you are working on.

Unread 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Admin

These polished Walker beadlocks really came out shiny. I didn't realize how bright these would come out to be in the sun.