FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM

If you need a battery I would look into something like this.

http://search.ebay.com/270535582829

They last at least 2 to 3 times longer than a regular acid battery. I have left them in little bikes and scooters over the winter and still have them start in the spring with no battery tender. You might even be able to find them local.

Smithers - I have a 79 Express and run it with no battery. That little scooter used the headlight as a regulator and with no battery it blew right away. It's always funny to see if someone can figure out how to start the Express.
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
These bikes do not have a magneto. You need to have a charged battery in the circuit to get spark. All the other components just keep that battery charged.
it has a magneto, two magnetic coils under the flywheel one is for ignition the other is for lighting.

I have a sealed battery that looks like that from the previous owner, am going to buy a new one just in case
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

hahnda I wasn't inferring the Express wouldn't start without a battery although it might sound like I did sorry. Plus the monkey mechanic did all sorts of weird things to the Express so the battery wasn't the main problem. 1980 isn't old in motorcycle years to us. On another note in relation to motorcycle vintage I asked the California DMV how old a motorcycle would have to be to get a "historic vehicle" license plate and they said 1945 or something in the 40's. I was shocked because cars don't have to be that old to have those plates! At least I have seen newer cars with historic plates on them >:-|
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:09 AM

Didn't say that you said that. Just talking about my junky express since you brought yours up. Mine is used as a yard bike for my wife. Also use it as a swap meet cruiser.

In WI we can get Collector plates for vehicles 20+ years old. Bikes are $24 for as long as you want or until you sell it.
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Admin

Hehe no problem. These Express bikes are hot rides indeed. They truly teach you to be afraid of traffic and small dogs that might bite. I'M EXTREMELY jealous of your ability to get a Collector plate and especially your vehicle fees!!! Don't rub it in! :`(

I think the Honda CL70 would have a slight advantage over the Honda Express scooter though. I need to get a video of the CL sometime.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:45 AM

well thanks, I have an idea of where to start now, I will let you know what I find out and if I get it running. get a video of the cl70 up there are no good ones around.
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Admin

You'll be able to push the kick starter with your hand to fire it up. I'm sure you'll get it figured. I'm going to look for some heavier springs for my CL70 as well. It's a wheelie machine. I took the kickstand off of it when I was in high school because I used to ride it all in the hills and the mountains for days. Me and some friends had 70's and 50's we tricked out and rode all over the coast as we could just pick them up if we came to a fence, hehe. So suffice to say the kickstand is long gone... I need to fine another one so it you see one available let me know.
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
You'll be able to push the kick starter with your hand to fire it up. I'm sure you'll get it figured. I'm going to look for some heavier springs for my CL70 as well. It's a wheelie machine. I took the kickstand off of it when I was in high school because I used to ride it all in the hills and the mountains for days. Me and some friends had 70's and 50's we tricked out and rode all over the coast as we could just pick them up if we came to a fence, hehe. So suffice to say the kickstand is long gone... I need to fine another one so it you see one available let me know.
I know of a few cl70s for sale, one complete pretty solid project for $350. Unfortunately none of the ones I know of are close to you. When project ones pop up for sale here on craigslist they normally disappear in a matter of days. Besides the cl70 I also own a mostly restored 74 Honda ct70 in candy Riviera blue, and a 1970 Suzuki mt50 which my dad bought new and I partially restored.

for heavier springs I went with this rebuild kit on my ct70 which has the same forks as the cl70. I do mostly street riding with the ct70 and this setup is at least 30% stiffer and works out great. you can also adjust the firmness by the amount of fork oil you add. I am considering using another one of the kits for this bike but might just cheap out and get just seals and rubbers http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...s#ht_500wt_956 pretty good deal considering the springs alone normally cost $30.

Last edited by jfp350; 02-22-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Admin

Perfect. I've seen those kits on eBay before but I didn't know they would work for the CL as well. They must have dropped the price a little too from what I remember. I'll definitely have to get one of those kits and try it out. I've bought from that seller before with good results. I just wish the foot rubber that I bought from them would last longer. It's already started to crack in less than one year. Oh well the price was right but I would love to have some original Honda ones that last much longer.
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Have you guys tried www.hondaminitrail.com? Gobbs of cool parts for the ct70. I don't know how many parts the ct70 fit the cl70, but they have some neat stuff. For batteries I go to Batteries Plus. These guys had the exact fit replacement 6 volt battery for my 1965 CA95...on the shelf... They have every battery for anything. When my battery sat too long, it would not take a charge...These guys revived the battery.
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Perfect. I've seen those kits on eBay before but I didn't know they would work for the CL as well. They must have dropped the price a little too from what I remember. I'll definitely have to get one of those kits and try it out. I've bought from that seller before with good results. I just wish the foot rubber that I bought from them would last longer. It's already started to crack in less than one year. Oh well the price was right but I would love to have some original Honda ones that last much longer.
Perfect timing!! glad I checked this, I was just about to order the foot rubber since mine is missing both.save me the trouble, I guess I will shoot for the Honda OEM instead.

also FYI to save even more money on the kits they put them up for auction every so often for even cheaper than the BIN.

I have bought from the seller a few times and surprisingly they have bought from me lol. no problems.
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Have you guys tried www.hondaminitrail.com? Gobbs of cool parts for the ct70. I don't know how many parts the ct70 fit the cl70, but they have some neat stuff. For batteries I go to Batteries Plus. These guys had the exact fit replacement 6 volt battery for my 1965 CA95...on the shelf... They have every battery for anything. When my battery sat too long, it would not take a charge...These guys revived the battery.
yeah, they do lots of nice reproduction parts. the bars for my 74 ct70 were produced by them. They are missing out though by not having an online checkout system I like using my paypal for a secure payment. this is my favorite store http://dratv.com/ even have a cl70 section.
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:02 PM

installed new points, set the gap
Installed new battery

STILL NO SPARK!!!!
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Ok, so when you turn on the ignition do any lights come on? Is there a main fuse in the circuit?
Unread 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM

main fuse is bypassed, no lights turn on

my next guess is the condensor/coil, which is convieniently located betweet the motor and frame so that I have to drop the motor to get it out

Last edited by jfp350; 03-02-2010 at 09:51 PM.