FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Smile White wall tires

I have been looking for white wall tires for my baby dream and cannot seem to find any. I may just go with some shinko tires but I am not sure. what does everyone else run? I don't have any rot on my tires but I believe they are the original....I need to change them. Also, am I right to be searching for 3.00 16's for both the front and back? Thank you!
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

You should change your tires for safety sake of course. I DO have the original tires on my CA160 and they are a little cracked, yes, and a little worn down. I ride super conservative on that bike making sure to baby it while making turns. This is a good practice even with good tires because your not going to get anywhere any faster with your 6-9hp and crashing an old classic Honda is not an option.

I have spent a lot of time researching ans searching for classic bike tires. The absolute BEST place to order up some tires? JC Whitney.com ! Go do a search for you tire size 3.00 and have a look! They have an awesome selection of tires. Now MAKE SURE that you buy some inner tubes to replace your old ones as well. I bought the last tubes that were in stock at my local bike shop as I was shocked they had them in the first place. You might want to buy an extra tube or two just in case you get a flat in the future. They are so cheap it's not even worth your time to patch them!

To make the tire swap painless buy some nice tire irons. Now that tools are so cheap and readily availible there is no excuse not to buy some nice ones. These are really easy tires to change and leaving them in the sun for a while before you take them off makes the change even easier. There should be a rubber band that goes inside the tire that protects the inner tube from being pinched or punctured by the spoke nuts that come into the rim on the inside. Just use some duct tape of some type to cover these up if your bands are in bad shape.

Not that you don't know all this stuff but it's good to post this stuff for people to read. Let us know how it goes and which tires you get. You can email me pictures and I can post one or more for you if needed.
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
There should be a rubber band that goes inside the tire that protects the inner tube from being pinched or punctured by the spoke nuts that come into the rim on the inside. Just use some duct tape of some type to cover these up if your bands are in bad shape.
I've actually cut a strip out of the inside diameter of my old inner tubes before too. Although new strips are usually about $5 or less.

Dave

'72 Honda CB350
'65 Honda CA95
'73 Harley Sportster
'69 Triumph 650 Bonneville Chopper
Unread 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks!

I will check JC Whitney. There is a local shop in town (cyclcerecycle part 2) that I can get parts from too, they don't stock tires that small though. Thanks for all the advice, I will let everyone know what I get and what I think of them. Thanks!
Unread 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to RobG Send a message via Skype™ to RobG

Coker sells whitewalls but I don't know the price. I also don't know if it shows up in their inventory online. You might have to call. I know someone who recently sold his CA95 with new whitewalls he got from there though.
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM

I think that they cost around $120 a pop for whitewalls for these bikes, definitely not cheap.

I was thinking about getting a set until I saw the price. Think I'll just get the $20 Cheng Shin blackwalls from JcWhitney instead.
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM

I was close. $117.
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM

http://store.coker.com/325-16-firest...wall-tire.html

Surprisingly, Coker's price for these is actually lower than other places. I saw the same exact tire for $195 somewhere else! $195!
Unread 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Admin

Holy crap that's a ripoff. Those tires are so old in terms of technology that's just crazy. Modern streetbike tires are $100 - $150 for GOOD sticky, packed with technology, 200mph tires. Anything more than $50 for an old Honda tire is just nuts. If it's whitewall then yeah... 70-80 seems fair. That's economics for you. And apparently someone is buying them for the high prices.

If anyone gets a set of the Coker they better post the pics or send them to me so I can. =]
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM

It's ridiculous what they go for. Coker has a blackwall version of the same tire, same brand, for around $40 apiece, which isn't bad for a really nice set with a really authentic look. Might get those for mine.

But paying $80 more apiece just to get WW? Give me a break.
Unread 09-26-2009, 02:34 PM

The same WW tires in blackwall have the area that's white on the WW still... can you paint it by chance?
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM

I imagine if you covered the rest of the tire with masking tape except for the sidewall portion, you could pull it off with a good can of spray paint. They even ake white tire paint specifically for this purpose, but it's brush-on stuff. Doesn't sound bad for $9 a can:

http://www.rangerpaint.com/

I had some white overspray on my tires from painting the frame, and used black spray paint on my old tires to cover it up. You can't tell the difference. But that Ranger Paint stuff sounds pretty cool. Might have to look into that stuff eventually.

Last edited by SixtyFiveCA95; 09-27-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Holy crap that's a ripoff. Those tires are so old in terms of technology that's just crazy. Modern streetbike tires are $100 - $150 for GOOD sticky, packed with technology, 200mph tires. Anything more than $50 for an old Honda tire is just nuts. If it's whitewall then yeah... 70-80 seems fair. That's economics for you. And apparently someone is buying them for the high prices.

If anyone gets a set of the Coker they better post the pics or send them to me so I can. =]
I'm sure it's not the technology, but rather because these wide white walls are a low volume product.
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM

heh, never posted a pic for you Smithers!

And yes... I know... I put the emblems on backwards in this pic!

Unread 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Admin

Sweeet Honda 160! Just like mine. Hey I want your tires. $100 shipped sound good? I touched up your picture to make the bike look a lot better for ya.

Tags
tire, white wall