FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Technology & Electronics

Unread 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake
Default Online Archive of Radio Shack Catalogs

This is fun. It's an on-line archive of every Radio Shack catalog since 1940. You can browse them page by page.

Now I need to get going on restoring my great-uncle's Halicrafters tube radio.
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

That is so cool! It's so neat to see all the old promotional material and photography from the past. I was at a friends house showing him how to configure his Marantz surround receiver and it "crackles" when you run the sound through it with the optical input which makes the unit worthless. I told him it's time to upgrade to HDMI! He took a deep breath and said, "You know how much I probably paid for that thing?". I'm guessing a few grand! Well it doesn't matter how much because it's broken now and you can get a really nice new Harman Kardon model for a cool thousand dollars that will spank that Marantz.

We just happened to have a locally owned stereo and TV place near us that pushed the Marantz products as a super hot premium brand to own. Every single person I've ever talked to that owns one has had problems and they have had to send them back to the company for repair - some more than once. Anyhow that's my home electronics rant for the month. Thanks for the link.
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM

It was such an honor to start a thread in the "Technology & Electronics" section. Until I did that, you owned every single thread, which is just plain wrong.

The Radio Shack catalogs were fun to peruse, and brought back memories of the mischief I used to get into in the mid '70s, when I used to make linear RF amplifiers for CB radio use. Those were the days.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
This is fun. It's an on-line archive of every Radio Shack catalog since 1940. You can browse them page by page.

Now I need to get going on restoring my great-uncle's Halicrafters tube radio.
Which model Hallicrafter's have ya got? I've gone through about 4 myself - my first was an S-38C.
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:58 AM

I have an S-20R. I still haven't restored it - so many projects, so little time. Before I do that, I'll convert 30 years of VHS home videos to DVD for my adult children as a gift.