FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake
Default Tank Panel Perplexity

Good thing I have 5 gallons of brown ale ready for bottling this weekend, because this little issue is driving me to drink. Does anybody know what the deal is with the CA95 (late model) tank panels?

My patient is a late-run '65, sold as a '66. The bike rested on its left side for years, so the tank panel is heavily pitted. I've now purchased 2 replacement left side panels, and both have much larger emblem spaces. My replacement emblems fit the original panel perfectly. None of these panels are from the CA95 'early' model, '59-'63. My rubber knee pad fits both panels. Both panels fit the tank just fine.

Please ... save me from seeking solace in my fresh 5 gallons of ale and tell me what I'm dealing with! Why the different emblem spaces?

-Kevin

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

By the Lake ,I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I have a good left side panal .
Also, are you bottling or soda kegging your ale ? I converted a chest freezer to a kegerator with 3 taps and room for 4 pepsi kegs . I also bottle but haven't in about a year or so .
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
By the Lake ,I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I have a good left side panal .
Also, are you bottling or soda kegging your ale ? I converted a chest freezer to a kegerator with 3 taps and room for 4 pepsi kegs . I also bottle but haven't in about a year or so .
Thanks, Kartgreen. I just wish I knew what the difference was between the panels. I wonder which one your panel would be? If you have a spare that would work, I'd certainly pay you for it.

I don't consume my home brew very quickly, so I tend to bottle instead of kegging. I had a good crop of hops this year, which grow well here in Michigan's wine country.
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM

Let me enlighten all about the tank panels....

The wide mount "emblem" panel is actually from the CA160. The CA160 and the CA95 tank panels are interchangable. No one outside a few of us knows this little fact or the difference. I found this out by building both models.

Just order the CA160 emblems and your good to go.
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:51 AM

Spokes, thanks for the enlightenment. Truly appreciated.

Since I now have mismatched panels, I'll need to determine if it's easier to find the opposite CA160 panel or get the emblem. Given how much effort I'm putting into this restoration, I'd like each side to match, at a minimum.

I wonder they the eBay sellers marked these CA160 panels as CA95? I suppose that's a different issue.
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM

Kevin and all, I just spotted this on Ebay, seems there are two types of mountings on the back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Honda-...item23185df1ee

I guess these would be the opposite to yours Kevin.

Sam.
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
Kevin and all, I just spotted this on Ebay, seems there are two types of mountings on the back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Honda-...item23185df1ee

I guess these would be the opposite to yours Kevin.

Sam.
Thanks, Sam. I'll be getting back home this evening and will confirm the mounting hardware. Regardless, I truly appreciate the assistance.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum and recently purchased two 1964 CA95's, one for restoration and the other for parts donor. I bought off ebay a set of badges that are, according to the seller, 60cm diameter, apparently there are 58cm diameter badge sizes as well. I guess I got lucky because the 60cm badge fits my 1964 CA95; my serial numbers on frame and motor indicate that I have a 1964 build. The Honda part number on the sealed package is 87020-070-010 if that means anything. Just my 2 cents to share.

BTW, it looks like my donor CA95 will get a total restore as well, as it is in rebuildable condition too, just missing some parts. I will post pics on a new thread but restoration won't start for a few months due to recent surgery on my rotator cuff. Great forum site.

Mike
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM

By the Lake , I looked at several left side covers that I have today and neither one is very nice . I'll be at a friend of mine Saturday or Monday and I'll see if he has anything thats usable . I'll let you know what I find .
I agree with Spokes that you have a 160 cover .
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:27 AM

By The Lake , PM me with your address and I'll put a side cover in the mail to you . It's the best of the covers I have .
Unread 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobogy View Post
Hello,
I am new to this forum and recently purchased two 1964 CA95's, one for restoration and the other for parts donor.
Welcome aboard. You'll find some good information here, along with some fine people.
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:10 AM

Thanks, Kartgreen. If you've not shipped it yet, hold off for now. I grabbed another pair that has an excellent left panel off eBay, for a CA95, not CA160. Like in the photo I posted above, the CA95 panels have the little 'T' stamp in the top of the emblem recess, where the CA160 has the 'T' inverted and in the bottom.

My wife will be glad when chrome panels stop coming in the mail. I try to convince her that even the panels that I don't need are infinitely more interesting than the clothes she buys online, but I'm not winning that argument yet.