FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 02-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Step 1: Clean surface
Step 2: Prep with graphite - You can do it the hard way or buy it in a bottle
Step 3: Index them by making holes for dowels (on engine side) or bolts (trans side)

Unread 02-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Admin

Now the good part. Graphite applied to the bellhousing with a toothbrush. So how do I magically make the graphite dust stick to the alloy? Just spray some WD-40 or some other lubricant/oily aerosol spray on it and pat down the excess off with a rag. Then with a brush you can apply the graphite to it with ease.

Then place the board up against the engine and use the studs/dowels to hold the board in place while you tap it with a large face hammer. It's doesn't have to be a hard hammer of course. You're just tapping it to make a slight impression with the graphite.

Lookin good.
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Admin

I took a few measurements just to make it spot on. I don't want to machine the adapter twice, nope I do not. I did come back a minute later and mark some measurements in order to plot the center point of the transmission input shaft location.

The bearing fork will be removed from service very soon. Just a picture for reference. Yeah the 1UZ-FE and W59 transmission don't exactly bolt up now do they. I had to try!! hehe.

Unread 02-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Admin

And pushing forward on the removal of the 3RZ I spend some quality time removing electrical connectors allowing me to remove the wiring harness from the engine. This was surely a PITA as they are mostly in hard to reach places and the plastic has fatigued to the point that they nearly break apart when you apply pressure to release and pull them. This took longer than I thought but breaking any of these connectors would be a very regretful.

The radiator/fan simply pull out in a matter of a couple minutes and the header came off nearly as quickly. Fuel lines, power steering lines all done. No I have to roll it outside a few feet to pull it out of the bay. Not a problem.
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Admin

Rain or shine, gotta get this thing done! Just after I pulled the engine the clouds let the rain drops fall. Might be a good idea to scrub the engine bay and wash the crud right out the door.

Unread 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Admin

I stripped down the engine compartment to the bare essentials and then a little more. It should really clean up nice with some degreaser. I'll be doing a little body welding to re-enforce the seams while everything is clear. So after a scrubbing and a little welding a coat of Hammered black will surely make things look good under the hood.

Unread 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Admin

Had to pull some unnecessary wires. =]

And all the brown hoses and everything else will turn black tomorrow.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Admin

What worked out really well is the location of the fuel lines. The feed and return line are located EXACTLY where they need to be. If anything I might have to make a short extension but maybe not. I'm pretty happy about this but if only the AC lines and power steering lines were this easy!

I'll be putting a fuel filter inline near the tank. Since the Tacoma's mount the filter on the engine block there isn't anything but a screen in the fuel tank. No problem, inline aluminum filter to 10 microns will work fine.

Unread 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Admin

And about header clearance around the drivers side steering shaft... I have plenty of room for the exhaust. Being how the Tacoma's have the steering box just under the front of the cab it makes the shaft go straight down and not out forward like all the cars. So unlike cars the trucks don't have the header clearance issue when it comes to engine placement. This will make my life VERY easy when it comes to the Lexus engine install. Thank goodness for the body lift. I made my own body lift so it's not a typical backwoods 4" body-gap lift. That's way too much anyway. I opted for the body lift for the sake of functionality ie: tire clearance, transmission clearance in terms of cooling and servicing, obstacle clearance, etc etc. A huge benifit is that the body lift makes life MUCH easier to work on your truck. And one more - you actually feel like your driving a truck.

Unread 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Admin

So today was pretty boring. I dropped off a couple things for black powder coating. Then I spec'd out the fuel filter and fittings I'll use to mount the filter in the rear right on top of the fuel tank. And I also measured out the fuel hose I'll need to make my fuel line to go from the hard line to the fuel rail.

Then I cleaned out all the dirt/grime from the engine bay. I have some more degreasing to do on the front drive system before I can paint it up a little. I might as well clean things up really well since the engine won't be leaking and it should stay that way. It's always nice working on clean vehicles.

The adapter is being programmed for processing and I'll be visiting the facility tomorrow morning to check things over. With my measurements I'm sure it will come out spot-on. Then I can put the two components together and whip out some engine mounts very quickly, have them powdercoated and everything will be set to wire up. Easy stuff.
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Admin

Well everything is right on schedule which is amazing. I just felt bad having a blurry template of the transmission bell housing so I went back and made a much better stencil that I could be confident in. Once I learned how much the materials could cost I just wanted to make sure the measurements were exact with no question. So here we go! I did a much better job of punching the initial holes in the foam board and I secured it down good with a couple of bolts. That way there won't be any movement at all when I tapped the board with the rubber hammer.

And there we have it! Perfect copy and it will make for a perfect adapter. I can sleep soundly.
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Admin

Here is the interesting part. A few measurements and some CAD is all it needs.

A very nice set of measuring tools. They don't make em like they used to.
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Admin

Time for a break from all this brain work. Gotta remember why I'm doing all this, to have some fun just like this cat:
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Admin

In the meantime detailing the engine compartment is the plan. I'm not sure if I will want to use the same Hammerite paint on the frame. I would like to keep the frame straight black.

After a long day, kickin back to any local band was a relief.
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Admin

Back to work. Here is my adapter plate. Not quite finished as you can see.