FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

It was a last minute thing to go ahead and finish the exhaust tonight but I had to. It's been miserable not being able to drive this thing. The short exhaust would instantly just start spewing fumes into the cab and the sound was incredibly loud so I had to tip-toe through town. As soon as I would give it any throttle it would crackle and just make sounds you could hear for blocks. It's definitely strange now that it's quiet. I must admit this muffler is cutting down on some flow so I'll be deciding on another muffler to throw on there later on. Maybe a larger Flowmaster. The Flowmaster brand is the only muffler that lasts. All the other brands I have tried just break off really quick when you start getting crazy offroad.

And my friend really likes to get up close when he welds! He doesn't realize how close he's getting so I need to show him this picture so that he backs up from now on. This isn't good and it's splattering back onto his brand new helmet.

This is way too close!
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Admin

And while we are on the subject: A PDF with some info on how to make power out of your exhaust system. These are just things that exhaust fabricators think about all the time. Most people don't realize the science behind building headers or an exhaust system but this will help show what kind brain work goes into a proper system.

Headers, tube size, collectors, X-pipes and more exhaust technology summed up in a brief article here in this exhaust system PDF.
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Admin

Hmmm I need to update this thread. I put that Flowmaster on and it created some back pressure which caused the Aprilia mufflers to absorb almost ALL of the sound. It really sounded like a Cadillac or some luxury vehicle. It was so quiet and soft which would make a great exhaust for a road trip. What I ended up doing it cutting off the Flowmaster and just adding an extension tube to dump the exhaust further back without muffling it. This created just enough back pressure to allow the race mufflers to absorb some more sound. It's perfect now. I can let off the throttle and drive normal to keep the sound down but when I put my foot in it the decibels crank up for sure. This is pretty crude for now but once the roll cage is built I'll probably change most of the exhaust layout anyways so I didn't need to spend time making it pretty for now.

Here's a video to demonstrate:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Last edited by Smithers; 12-05-2010 at 10:04 PM.