FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up Noob questions

Hi All,
I loved checking out everyone's beautiful CL70s and the great work being done on them.

I've got a 1971 CL70. I am just sprucing it up for the season and have a number of questions. As the title says, I am a noob at maintenance and most of these questions will probably be cake for you guys!

I am trying to charge up the battery but it might be gone. It is finally taking a charge now after I shook it up... Does anyone have a good rec for a sealed one that fit in that little spot? Is this the best place to put the + clamp when I charge it?

What is this little piece between the petcock and the carb? Does it look like it needs to be cleaned to you?

What does this red/white wire go to/is it important? I just put the battery in and kickstarted the bike and it worked (for about 2 seconds) w this one unattached.

I just filled the tank w new gas but I was using an old gas can. When I poured the gas into the tank I saw some little flecks of the rubber gasket from the gas can flow into there. Is this going to screw me up? How important is it for me to empty the gas tank? If I do empty the tank, which is very full, is it reasonable to try to filter/reuse the gas in there or just dispose of it?

Any help is appreciated! I am considering some of the tips I picked up from the forum, so I'll post pics if I complete any of those!

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2227-1.JPG (77.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2226.JPG (48.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2225.JPG (39.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2223.JPG (36.0 KB, 5 views)
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Also, I just found my bike's twin if someone is in WA and wants it. Cheap, too! http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2375316571.html
You guys think I should buy it?
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hey sweet little 70 you have there! Looks perfect. I would get any dirty gas out of there asap and just get rid of it. It's not worth the hassle. You don't want any contaminates screwing up your carb as that will take some work to get it all out. If it isn't broke don't fix it. If it runs good and doesn't leak there isn't any reason to take it apart at all. Just enjoy the bike and keep it clean.

You can measure your battery and look around on Ebay for a replacement that matches your size. Just grab any 6v battery as long as it fits you're good. Mine puts out some weak voltage from being a few years old but my bike still runs great. They hardly need any power to operate. Now if you want the lights to be nice and bright that's a whole other story.
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM

nice bike, i wish mine looked that good. 1971.