FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Default Suggestions Please

Well after finally getting the bike back together and starting it up I found an oil leak that needed fixed. I had someone look at it and of course there are more problems. There is a lot of scoring on the cylinders and I have to ask some questions. I don't believe there are sleeves on this motor so I will have to have it bored, correct? Is this easier or should I look for a new top jug.
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Sorry about the bad luck. : \

Have any pictures of the cylinder? What kind of clearance do you have between the piston and cylinder? You can bore the cylinder over size but what pistons do you have in it now? I'm going through this right now with a friends old Norton motorcycle. He has .02 slop between the piston and bore and it should be like .005-.006 at least!

You could have oversize pistons in it now which means it's been bored already. As long as you aren't over bored too much than you can buy the next size piston and have your cylinder massaged accordingly. You don't want to find a new jug... then you have to do the same thing to the new one to fit the pistons you will need for it.
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM

The cylinder is sleeved. Check the top of the pistons for a number or marking of some kind. The standard original piston top is blank. The oversize pistons are marked. Depending the piston read and the depth of the scoring will determine if you can save the jugs. ie: standard piston + nasty scoring=maybe save by boring and fitting new oversize pistons. Max.oversize piston + nasty scoring = jug scrap.
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Well said Spokes!