FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Default Dimmer switch

Is the wiring harness and the little circuit board that is inside the dimmer switch available anywhere? the Power wire to the horn on mine is broken off. it looks as if some one has already tried to solder it back on and failed. i saw the entire assembly on Nicks list at Ohio Cycle. The body and dimmer switch on mine is in good shape and I hate to replace it.
Curt
Unread 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM

I just buy another used control and scavange the parts. It is possible to repair the contacts as long as the little phenolic board is not broken. You need good ole fashion lead solder and flux to do the repair.
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:48 AM

Default dimmer

The board is still sound. I guess Ill try to make a new wire harness with 18 ga wire and shrink wrap. The black wire is too short to use.I cant loose anything. its broken now. If I can fix it its cheaper than a new one at 65 bucks plus shipping.
Curt
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:58 AM

If you have trouble...send it to me. I have repaired several. PM if so.
Unread 06-24-2011, 04:58 AM

Default dimmer

Thanks for the offer. Im going to try it tomorrow,
Unread 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

We can rebuild anything! It's a lot more fun making this old stuff work rather than just giving up and buying a new one. I also recommend high temp solder which is much much more durable then regular solder you would pick up at WalMart or get included in a kit. You just have to be careful that your piece is prepped and ready for it because if you mess up it's much more difficult to remove. Make sure and use some flux! It makes all the difference in the world. You might already know all this I'm just an electronics guy giving my 2 cents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering
Unread 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Default repair anything

I agree, given enough material and tooling anything that was built can be rebuilt. Im going to try to build a new harness this weekend.
Curt
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:15 PM

Default repair anything

Smithers, your right. I just got done rewiring the dimmer and horn switches with success. I dont think that I could have afforded to have a professional bike mechnic do it though. It took buying 4 rolls of wire at 6 bucks each and the purchase of a new tool (soldering iron) to accomplish this repair. with these purchases I have about 35 bucks in part that costs 65. But the priceless part is the sense of accomplishment when the part works. I really think that those tiny parts are not made for Americans with large hands though.
Curt

Last edited by weestrom05; 06-26-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: addnl thought
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weestrom05 View Post
Smithers, your right. I just got done rewiring the dimmer and horn switches with success. I dont think that I could have afforded to have a professional bike mechnic do it though. It took buying 4 rolls of wire at 6 bucks each and the purchase of a new tool (soldering iron) to accomplish this repair. with these purchases I have about 35 bucks in part that costs 65. But the priceless part is the sense of accomplishment when the part works. I really think that those tiny parts are not made for Americans with large hands though.
Curt
Glad to hear you've been successful!
A soldering iron can always prove its worth in the future... while a face may launch a thousand ships, a soldering iron can make sure they have lighting