FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Transmission & Other Stuff

Transmission & Other Stuff Drivetrain tech and other Taco build related stuff.

Unread 11-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Tacoma Cab Separation Fix

Yeap mine split eventually. I put a crossbrace under the cab years ago and it finally popped apart like yours last year. I used some rivets to take care of it. Hand held rivet tools are pretty cheap and work great. If you can't get in close enough with a drill because of the bed you can loosen the bed bolts up and jack up the bed while putting 4x4 pieces of wood under the bed to hold it up off the frame of course.

Just drill a small hole and press the pieces together and put the rivet in. I did them pretty close together all the way across the gap. You might put a jack and a 4x4 under the middle of the cab to raise it up a little to relieve the stress on the body panels. Then I think I used some vice grips to pull them together before the drilling and rivet install. Once finished with that I used some black Permatex type sealer inside and out to make sure the thing was sealed good. It's worked great so far. I'm need to run some tubing through the bottom of the cab soon (roll cage prep) to hold the bodys weight even better and to mount the seats and belts onto. That is the best way to hold the body better to keep the thing together. B)