FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Smoking out one pipe

Got it working, and working well, but it's obvious I'm not done. a)it leaks oil, b)it smokes out one pipe, 3)I should have used the ring kits when I had it out the first time, but I'm not sure it wouldn't have also needed valve work.

4) The documentation I was able to find several years ago seems to have vanished.

Does anyone have links to an engine rebuild process, and suggestions on how to put the case back together so that it's leak-free?

Unread 12-28-2017, 06:13 PM

For starters, do a cold compression on both cylinders to get an idea what condition the top end is in. It will save all kinds of future headaches.

On the cylinder that is smoking, after you do the first compression test, pour a small amount of oil into the cylinder and do another cold compression test. If the pressure is higher, the rings need to be replaced. If the compression does not increase, the valves are not sealing. Do the test with oil on the other cylinder also.

Is the oil leak coming from the seals or the gaskets? or is it coming from the main engine cases? If it's not coming from the main engine cases, don't split them open if the transmission is working OK.

If you do split the main engine cases, go to your local Yamaha dealer and pick up some Yamabond. It's the best stuff out there. I use it on all kinds of bikes that I rebuild. Make sure the the mating surfaces are clean and oil free and just use a thin film of Yamabond. Oh and while you are in this deep, use all new seals and gaskets. (Cheap Insurance)

Here's a link for a free PDF manual for the 125 and 150's. This should get you enough information to service the motor. http://classiccycles.2.vu/C92-SM-1959-66

If that link does not work go here http://www.classiccycles.org/1852/1873.html and click on the green button beside the Honda C92 Benly C 92 Workshop Service Repair Manual 1959 - 1966

And of course, if you have any other questions or run into any problems, just post back here. Someone here will be glad to assist you.
Unread 12-29-2017, 07:47 AM

Thanks for this! (I wasn't sure if the forum had gone dormant, or if everyone was just out riding because they'd fixed all their issues.)

The leaks appear to be around the studs holding the case halves together...I may not have been thorough enough when using the Honda Tri-bond that first time (I'll grab the Yamabond next time.

I'll store the PDF in three more places, so I don't lose it like I did the last time.

Any suggestions on the Starter? I disassembled, degreased, and the issues with this one appear to be the insulators (Bakelite?), I have no CLUE where to get them, and ebay starters are a potentially expensive crapshoot.
Unread 12-29-2017, 07:53 AM

FWIW, this article:
http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-wiring

was a tremendous help. Once I bit the bullet and got a real crimper and wiring kit, converted to 12V, and figured out the carburetor, things started to come together.
Unread 12-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Looking at this parts fiche it doesn't appear to be any parts available for purchase for the starter internals. http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-ca95-benl...993/partslist/

You may be able to take it to an automotive shop or bike dealer to check it out. If nothing appears to be burnt, there may just be something grounding out. Sometimes the armature end (where the brushes touch) is corroded. Make sure the slots are clean. Does it do anything at all when you put 6 volts to it while sitting it on a bench? (Ground to the starter body and positive to the positive bolt.) If it spins that way, there may corrosion at the starter button on the handlebars or the starter solenoid may need attention (located inside the frame where the air filter goes). It should make a clicking noise when you push the starter button. Make sure all the connections are clean to and from the solenoid.

If no luck that way, your best bet is ebay. I have had very good luck with all kinds of electrics for the CA's there.

And yes, this site has been somewhat dormant and I wish I knew why. I think it's because these bikes are getting harder to find and when one shows up, the asking price is way too high considering how much time and money it takes to restore them.

I still check in once in a while to see if there is any new activity. Glad to see you posting. I hope others chime in at some point. The people on this site have an immense amount of knowledge about these bikes.
Unread 12-31-2017, 10:27 AM

I cleaned everything up, lubed and reassembled, and when I applied power...it made smoke and ozone.

A continuity tester was showing a short pretty much everywhere I touched it. I don't remember the specifics as it was at least a year ago. Before disassembly, it would turn slowly, so I don't think it was the armature. It wouldn't run well enough prior to disassembly, didn't run at all after reassembly.

Bike stars well enough with the kickstarter, and this never was intended to be a museum piece, but still.
Unread 12-31-2017, 02:03 PM

Well I hate to say it, but if the starter turned albeit slowly before you disassembled it, you did something wrong when you put it back together again.

Once there is smoke, there is no going back. The starter is toast. Best to get another on ebay.

Back to the smoking out of one pipe. Have you done a compression test yet. Cold and with oil added?
Unread 01-01-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubsie View Post
Well I hate to say it, but if the starter turned albeit slowly before you disassembled it, you did something wrong when you put it back together again.

Once there is smoke, there is no going back. The starter is toast. Best to get another on ebay.

Back to the smoking out of one pipe. Have you done a compression test yet. Cold and with oil added?
No, it's on my list of things to do. Family commitments around the holiday and a 20 degree garage have kept me from turning wrenches. (and a broken kitchen faucet, and a broken Samsung dryer, and...and...)