FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Registration, Can't Get Any Easier Than This

Now that I got my '63 up and running correctly, It was time to make it legal for the road. Lord knows when it last saw a legal day on the road.
Had the local police stop by and fill out a NH Verification of Vehicle Identification Form. He used the frame production number on the left side.I showed him the Title I got when I bought the bike that had numbers that weren't even close to an engine number or frame production number. He told me that that title didn't matter when it came to this bike. The only thing of concern would be if anything popped up about the numbers he recorded when I registered the bike.

After he was finished, I took the form to my local Town Hall (1 minute away) to register the bike. 10 minutes later, the bike was 99% legal. Drove home, fired up the bike and drove to the local inspection station. After a few minutes of me explaining to the mechanic what came as stock in the US for this 1963 bike. (No directionals, rear brake only activated by rear brake pedal, etc.). Showed him the proper hand signals etc. and 15 minutes later, got a legal inspection sticker.

So in about 1/2 an hour. I took a bike that has not seen the road in Lord knows how long without any kind of legal paperwork on my side besides a bill of sale from the seller that wasn't even considered by the law, and now have a legal 1963 Honda CA95.
I should also let you know that I had my 1966 CA160 taken care of at the same time for everything except inspection as it is torn down for rebuild and will have to wait until completed to get inspection.

Police fill out Vehicle ID Forms for 2 bikes $0.00
Register both bikes $18.00 to town, $35.00 to State Total $53.00
1 Bike Inspection $20.00

Not bad! $73.00 and 1/2 hour of my time, 2 bikes made 100% legal, 1 bike on the road. The other will be when completed. (Not insured yet, not required in NH but I will get it anyway)

Doesn't get any easier than this. I do not envy you guys that have to mess with the title crap.
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:20 AM

grubsie , that's great news . Strange how different laws and regulations are from state to state . I moved from California to Ohio 6 years ago and I'm still amazed at the differences . Ohio still requires a notary to witness and sign/seal a title at the time of the sale . Of course everyone "knows" of someone who will or can get a title notarized without everyone involved in the sale being present .
Ohio is also a state that' doesn't give out titles to non-titled bikes very easily . I've heard of several occasions that a title was issued but I'm not sure how the BMV system was circumvented .
One last odd thing about Ohio , I've had the same plate on 3 bikes this year only paying a $5.00 transfer fee .California , I would have had to pay the full registration fee and also received a new plate each time unless it was a personal plate .