FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Question Going to look at TWO 1971 CB100 Hondas tomorrow

What do you guys think? They are single cylinder and all original. They have been parked since the 70's and have been offered to me for probably near nothing.

Should I bite?!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda CB100.jpg (74.0 KB, 6 views)
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM

WOW those are some pretty clean bikes! I guess it comes down to space. I mean you could always cruise them for a year or two and still off them probably for a profit. Hmmmm..... pleasure.... and making money..... What was the question again?!?! lol.
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Admin

Woop! Those aren't the exact bikes. I just posted a couple pictures for example and forgot to mention that little bit of info. The owner woman that is meeting me there to show them got them when she was in high school and hasn't ridden them since. So this should be interesting. I'm thinking $50 a piece! LOL The fact is that they will need a good chunk of money to get them going and no one is going to buy those things because they are a specialty type motorcycle. Who would buy an old small displacement motorcycle that costs $80 a year to register? These bikes are hardly worth anything because of that. Maybe I'll just use them for trail bikes to take along while camping?

She didn't even mention if they were SL of CB models or anything. I'll report back tomorrow when I get back from checking them out.
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Admin

OK here is an update. The two bikes ARE CB100's and from 1971. Here is the kicker.... they are red just like the picture above and they are in flawless condition. But they have fuel in the gas tank which is paint thinner by now. How much are they worth? Not that much in my opinion. Any guesses how much should be offered for one or for both?

They are in perfect condition and look just like new - with dust all over them of course.

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:47 PM

I guess it comes down to dollars and sense If you can spare the dollars, and think they will get used, then it makes sense. IF there's a high probability that they will just collect more dust, then your wasting dollars that could be used for another or current project. I've walked away from a few deals like this because I knew in my head that even though it was a great deal, it wasn't a great deal IF I didn't use it.

I think if they are cheap enough, you could play with them (camping or what not ) and off them when your tired of them and not be out a lot of money. Of course, it depends on how much it will cost to get them back in running condition. Its not like you don't have the skills to fix them. What about cost of parts? Would it be minimal? Might be worth it to play with.

I mean they would be really cute his and her bikes lol. Put a couple of cute little cupid hearts on them..... and waaaaaa laaaaaaa tell her its an early Valentines Day gift lol.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Admin

Hah, nah I'm not into collecting bikes so they can collect dust. And there will be no buying his and hers matching bikes. :P I'm just gonna pass on these. I have plenty to work on for the time being. A friend of mine got his flawless CL175 twin for under $250 so I'm not paying more than that for a single CB100. Any older bike will eat up 3-400 in parts to get back in running condition no problem. Then to even use the thing on the street is even more. It's just not worth the investment at all. I need to finish up what I have already started!

It's fun just to try and put a price on them though. I would be shocked if they actually would fetch $1,000. I don't think that could happen unless you advertise the heck out of it to find the right person.
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:21 PM

You know, if you find someone not as knowledgable as yourself, who gets sight of a clean old bike, the seller could get lucky. It would probably be an impulse buy because once you start looking at what they are WORTH and the money involved, it really doesn't make sense. What you didn't like my his and hers idea?? lol. Geez.... I was picturing it, matching bikes and helmets. Heck you could go all the way and even dress the same.... Oh and wear a jacket screen printed ... "YOU REALLY DO MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A HONDA"
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Admin

Is that what you and your husband do with your two bikes? Good thinking! =]
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:46 PM

lol.... well unfortunately we only have ONE honda that runs at a time!! So, I ride on the back, we just need to leave extra extra early to get anywhere on time! (I hope you know I am kidding). Tomorrow, I will revisit the Dream, and try to figure out the hiccups. Wish me luck!

Last edited by KellieLyne; 12-02-2011 at 07:49 AM.