FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-16-2010, 06:35 AM

Default How do you know when the wheel dampners need replacement?

Just wondering. Had the rear wheel off and the rubbers are original but feel ok. How much play in the hub to rubber should there be? Should it be hard to put the hub back in?
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

As long as they aren't super cracked or turned to dust they are just fine. They should fall right into place. If they are new then they might have to pushed in a little bit. But they are always easy to put in, even on my big streetbikes. They last forever on the little ones though.
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:35 AM

I agree. Usually you begin to feel a lunge when you launch from a standing start or a weird "hit" when you shift, that's when the dampeners are going bad. I always buy new ones for old restores, but if they look good and fit well, then reuse them. Putting new ones in at a later date is no big deal.
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Once again, I'd just replace them with new but I'm affraid of the Thailand parts. Are their rubber parts just as good? Fit as well? Or are they made up of some bootleg rubber material that will break down?
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM

All good questions, but no one knows the answer but the thief who sells the crap out of Thailand. I bought the replacement ones from Thailand and ran them about 800 miles before selling the last CA95. I never checked them, never seemed to have a problem.

I would wash the ones you have in dishwashing liquid and spray a little silicon lube and reinstall them. I will be doing the same to mine.

If you want to check another source go to www.hondarestoration.com and use their search engine for part 41241-202-000. I am sure there is a new number assigned. Or call your local Honda Dealer and ask if they can get that part.

I buy some engine seals and exaust gaskets for my local Honda dealer for my old CA model bikes. It only takes a week to get them. They cost more but are packaged in Honda sealed bags. This means the part has to meet a Honda spec.
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Never buy anything rubber from Thailand that isn't on a Honda sealed parts bag. Anything rubber that is not Honda will greatly disappoint you.