FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Technology & Electronics

Unread 04-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ahh this is fun stff. I designed and built this last box when I was just out of high school years ago. It has worked flawlessly and the surface area at the top was just enough to allow me to expand the power of my whole stereo just enough. SO since I have been increasing the offroad capability of my truck by 100x I now need to build a new stereo that can take the abuse.

The last time I was out racing around in the dunes the rear brackets (factory mounts for the factory bench seat that was removed) that was holding the box up simply pulled off the back wall and failed to support the box or hold it in place. So the box was basically free standing with only the front seats holding it back there, how annoying! So I finally removed it and I have no tunes for now .

What now? Well I need to build a rollcage to support the whole cab and also to connect the rear suspension with the front suspension so that the whole truck frame doesn't break in half. Believe me, those woops aren't easy on the middle of this truck. The suspension does an awesome job but the cab really takes a beating since it's only held on by 6 bolts/mounts. So I'm going to run some tubing from the frame up through the cab from the front to the rear. This will also serve as a nice sturdy frame to mount the seats and the new speaker and amp rack in the rear. Hell, I might as well make a mount for a center console or something. I was throwing around the idea of mounting the seats more in the center of the truck but I won't go into that here.

So my goals are to build:
  • start the bottom half of the rollcage
  • provide much stronger mounts for the PRP bucket seats
  • to build a nice strong platform for a compact speaker box/ amp rack
  • to also integrate some nice mounts for some racing harnesses
This will be a huge upgrade to the Tacoma. The cab is literally splitting inside around the transmission hump and along the back lower corner. Both of these areas are common places for deformation when Tacomas are pushed offroad.
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Here is my box as I have just removed it. I can't wait to weigh it and see how much this sucker was slowing me down. I can already tell the difference with it out. My Lexus v8 will definitely provide more power but dropping weight from your vehicle is BY FAR the easiest way to improve handling, get better fuel mileage and increase your acceleration.

So what will I use to replace all this? Well I already posted pics of my new 4ch Fosgate amp and I'll just retain one of my Fosgate 600w amps. For signal processing I'll use the new Fosgate 3Sixty which will do an awesome job of replacing the 2 EQ's AND the crossover which are the 3 components near the bottom of the picture. A friend of mine put one in his Jeep Cherokee and it is simply amazing. The next item in question is the bass speaker that I will use. I would like to use the new JL TW5 Thin-Line Subwoofer but it's not out yet!! This speaker is an amazing 12 inch speaker that is only 2.5 inches thick! I really hope this speaker comes through with some heave bass but it won't be released until the third quarter of this year (fall of 2007).

For now I'll just run one of my 12's which will definitely put out enough for me. As of now I am running 600watts to each of these Fosgate pro's and the bass is absolutely insane. There is no reason for me to have that much bass since I don't have it turned up even halfway (it's ridiculous). So I can actually run half the airspace as I have now and turn up the gain just a tad more and have enough bass to satisfy. The next question is WHAT exactly am I going to make it out of?
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:07 PM

That thing is ill, you should put it up on craigslist & zzstar!