FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Newbie checking in for first time.

Hi gang!
i just acquired a 1965 C95 and will be lurking first to try to soak up anything I can here. The bike is quite rough, just over 5000 miles, I'm the second owner, the engine is not stuck and I don't have keys for it yet. However I'm looking forward to bringing it back to as new if I can. I've done a couple of CB750's so this will be quite a change.
Cliff.
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Quite a few options for the key - if you are lucky enough to have an affordable locksmith in the area that can make you a key relatively cheap, this could be the way to go. No such luck in my area as the price to make a key seems to indicate that they are made from solid gold. I went with http://hondakeys.com/ - if you have the number off the lockset he probably has one that is an old stock precut Honda key. Not a huge price either.

Oh, and welcome - I also have what I thought was a '65 based on the serial numbers, but I have since found that it must have sat and sold in '66 and must have been titled at that time. Surprising to me anyway... I'm still in mid restoration.
Unread 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Welcome aboard Cliff. Fixing up and restoring a little C95 will be a simple and fun exercise compared to your other bikes. Prepare to get mobbed by onlookers if you do venture out into traffic with it once it's finished!
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Hi Cliff, welcome to SOHC2,
Just a few things to beware of with these little gems.
Once you have worked your magic on it (like I know you will) it will still only be worth a few hundred $, they don't command the prices like a 750 K0 or sand cast.
Beware of parts from Thailand, some are piss poor repos.
Lastly, the Canuky C95 like our own UK C95 differs from the CA in a few details. The crank and crank cases are only 2 bearing, they are interchangable with the CA as long as you have both components.
The CAs pistons are higher compression and the carb has power jets in it.
The cam has longer duration and totaly different opening and closing times.
These 3 parts are all interchangable apart from the early CA cam which has a rev counter drive on the end of it.
Have fun mate, make sure you clean the oil filter and change the oil as often as you can.

Sam.
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks Sam! I'm taking my time on this little gem and learning as much as I can about it. I have to get it in my name before I spend any dollars on it. The owner has passed away, it has a 1967 Alberta licence plate, and it was never registered in my province so there is a dance to do with lots of paperwork first. I notice parts on ebay are fairly plentiful and comparatively cheap (no 'sandcast") plus I've had several offers of parts from other forum members. They must have been a popular little bike. It sure looks small sitting next to my Goldwing! The lady that gave it to me has a lot of family history in it so it will have to look good when I'm done.
Cliff.