FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Aprilia Mille RSVR - 1st Generation

Unread 01-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Rear Brake Fixing and Bleeding

Ohhhh here we go. The rear brake on the early Aprilia Mille was placed there basically for show. With the master cylinder tucked underneath the engine it gets too hot. This isn't a problem if you are putting around and not getting the engine so hot. But at higher engine temps the brake fluid gets too hot and bad things start to happen... ie: brake no worky.

I tried and tried bleeding the brakes turning it every which way to get the air removed from the system. I EVEN bought a brand new master cylinder but after a short time of good spirited riding the brake just went away and turned ineffective. So for the past few months I've just been using the rear brake at stop lights like many Aprilia owners out there.

I am moving towards actually fixing the problem once and for all. The only way to have a working brake is to relocate it by replacing the rearsets. I got a deal on some Sato Type I style rearsets and I love them as they are in the top 3 things I have done to my Aprilia so far. But I really need to change out some parts to convert them to a Type II style which, of course, relocated the master cylinder behind the pegs and out from under the engine. It's the only way.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Admin

Here is my setup doing the rear brake bleeding dance. I spent much too long flushing the system free of any air. It doesn't matter because once the fluid boils from down next to the engine...

At least I tried. And I tried every which way too.
Unread 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Admin

Alright I FINALLY got my rear brake kit from Sato Racing. On my way over to Laguna Seca last week I made it a point to catch Dan over at Kyle Racing to pick up my kit. There are quite a few intricate parts in the Type II upgrade kit so I was happy to pay for it and have it in hand. Now if I could just get some time to work on my Aprilia I would be very happy.