FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Events & Happenings

Unread 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Exclamation Cut the end of my finger off almost... still alive to tell the tale

I was detailing my APrilia Mille today getting ready to ride it this weekend. Cleaning the back hub in between the rear disc brake rotor while slowly rolling the wheel backward with my hand. It was up on the rear stand so with the wheel slowly spinning I was cleaning the hub when I pulled my fingers back and the hub just nipped at my long middle finger!

Ouch it felt numb and I said "that was close!" to myself. Then I looked at my finger in the rag and I was bleeding all over... oh man! So basically it pulled my fingerprint off my finger and some of the inner part but it didn't get my fingernail or take it off completely. Just got a chunk and blood all over. After a good cleaning I just wrapped it up and put it in a splint I have to protect it. Being numb I couldn't feel pain from any alcohol or iodine I soaked it in so it should be really clean. I guess this is a good reason to flip everyone off now.

Watch those fingers boys and girls!! I was LUCKY. Just cause the engine isn't making any noise and you don't think it's a harmful machine the leverage and inertia of a wheel can tear you up. Just like tons of people rip their hands up on the chains of a chainsaw while they are sharpening them or just making the chain spin on the bar when getting them ready to start. Happens all the time! Just because it's not running doesn't mean it won't rip your hand to shreds!

It's fun to tell people the story when they ask. I've almost made a couple people throw up with my lavish explaining.
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:45 AM

Heal quickly Ryan! Sorry hear about the misfortune but glad to hear you still in one piece. She (the bike) must have been a bit miffed at you, maybe you aren't riding her enough? A love bite perhaps???
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Admin

I shook the cobwebs off the ol' Aprilia this weekend and had a good time up in Monterey over the weekend. It's always fun to get back on that thing and feel the speed of it again. Now I need to put away some money for new front rotors so I can ride more often. The buttons are wearing into the aluminum inner disc so much that I won't give it full brake anymore. I don't need to be riding around that fast anyways!

I also can't believe how fast my finger is healing up. I can actually type with it today without pain! Woohoo. Watch those fingers boys and girls.
Unread 08-24-2012, 01:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

See how dangerous motorcycles are! Were you wearing a helmet?

Glad it wasn't worse, Ryan.
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Admin

Thanks, I was super lucky. It healed up almost completely by now. I just have a little portion on the tip of my finger that looks callous and has no feeling in it at all. At least it doesn't hurt so I'm not complaining. We always get hurt when we are in a hurry. Considering all the stuff I do working on machines and with tools I'm extremely thankful to have all my digits.