FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-07-2010, 11:43 PM

It seems strange that a machine shop can balance a crank but can't do a rebuild did they give a reason Mr Spokes?

Sam.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:34 AM

Ah, yes. The shop that rebuilds crankshafts only does dirt bike cranks. Being that the standard CA95 crank is pressed together and not intended to be repaired, the machine shop felt it was risky and might be liable for damages if the engine seized on the road and caused an accident.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:38 AM

Box is on the way chip, sorry it took so long. That fender made the box huge! haha
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks,
If there is anymore I can do for you, just let me know.
Chip (aka Spokes)
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Ah, yes. The shop that rebuilds crankshafts only does dirt bike cranks. Being that the standard CA95 crank is pressed together and not intended to be repaired, the machine shop felt it was risky and might be liable for damages if the engine seized on the road and caused an accident.
All Benly cranks are repairable Mr S, do you remember this thread where I warned members about the repair kit on ebay saying they were for CA95s.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=841 when in fact, it will only fit the C95.
Look at the exploded view that Ryan posted (2nd post) it shows all components numbered, the numbers lead you to the part numbers in the parts book.
Any individual component in the crank can be repaired/replaced.
If it was none repairable, it would be a one piece crank with bolt on rods and shell bearings.
The crank I would asume has to be stripped of the rods to ballance it so if they claim the can break it down to ballance it, why can't they put new bearing in it while its apart. The two claims don't add up. (not blaming or having a go at you)

Sam.
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:45 AM

No argument here. My take on the crank issue was based on the experience of my freshly rebuilt CA95 engine seizing the crank within a couple of hundred miles of riding. I pulled the crank and just for kicks took it into the shop and broke it apart with the 20 ton press to see what happened. The left rod bearings were powder.

I checked with the local rebuilder who tells me about the crank. I suspected that the crank could be repaired. But my only source would not touch the job because of liability issues, not that it can't be done.

I chose another good crankshaft and put the bike on the road again for less than $50.00.

For me these bikes are tinker toy fun projects. When done they are fun to ride and I get a kick out of doing my thing without the worry of major expense as I do my own work.
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Time Stamp 4-11-10

With most body parts collected, it is time to tear down the "rolling inventory" and begin paint prep. The body parts will be sandblasted and further sanded. At the same time I am tearing down my CA160 for the same.

Over the next two weeks everything will be repaired, prepared and primered. Any loose parts I need/get during the prep time will be added to the job.

If another CA95 tank is not found, the one that I have will be repaired and a custom new stopcock mount will be added to the new tank bottoms. Being that the CA95 is assembled from parts collected from everywhere, I don't have to be concerned with originality. The goal is a custom cool little bike ready to roll by late summer.

As the painted parts cure. The tires will be removed from the rims and wheels de-spoked. The hubs will be serviced and polished. The rims may be replaced or tricked out in color, relaced then off to have trued.

Then it wil be time to finish the engine and build the exaust.
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Time Stamp 4-13-10

Well I found and won another CA95 tank on ebay. This will be the third attempt to gain a salvagable tank. This time, if there are pin holes (and of course everyone who sells tanks on ebay claims no holes...) I plan to derust the tank and take it to a radiator repair shop. We will see if the tank is good. I should know in a week. I will build my own stopcock adapter for the tank and install a nice new chrome one as well.

I pulled off the front tire from the rim to discover that the hub and brake drum is broken. So back to the auction for another front wheel. I found a chrome shop with reasonable prices, so I might have the original DID rim chromed as it is nice shape and relace the "new-used" hub once found. Aaron sent me some nice salvagable parts, Thanks loads Aaron, so the only thing left body wise is a tool tray cover.
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:37 AM

I have a front wheel assembly if you need one.
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks Aaron. pm me with a price.
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:28 AM

Time Stamp 4-17-10

While the frame is still bare I got a great restorable fender. (thanks again Aaron)

After sandblasting and removal of the old Bondo this fender has the same problem as my previous CA95 fender and my CA160 fender (being restored at the same time) and that is that the bottom of the fenders have been damaged.

So today, with both CA95 frames bare and their perfect rear fender flares are at face level, I am going to rework the front fender flares back into shape to match.

The metal work will have to have some bondo but only a small amount. If I have to, I will make a mold from the rear fender flare and form a fiberglass cap and attach it to the final repair.
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:55 PM

Time Stamp 4-20-10

I got a great gas tank, but it turned out to be for a 1959-1962 Benly Dream. It is the same as the later years but has onlt two bolt mounts and a "C" hook for the frame. I re-ebayed it. If it does not sell, I will keep it and modify it to fit. Nice tank....bummer
Unread 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM

4-28-10
The project has slowed a bit. At this point I will be working on the wheels and hubs. Mostly disassembly polish check bearings, seals and the like. I will most likely replace all wheel bearings and seals. Once the hub and rims are assembled and trued, then tires.

Once the wheel are complete then it will be a slingshot advancement. I am working on the CA160 which will be done much sooner than the CA95. So for now, a few notes here and there. The final decision on color is a metallic pearl blue.

The tank that was mentioned earlier will be fitted another member made a great trade for my crashbars for a fuel petcock. A great trade from all aspects.
Unread 04-30-2010, 05:39 PM

4-30-10
Here are a couple of pics of the tank "conversion" for the 65 CA95 build. I had mentioned that I finally found a sound tank for my build. When I got it the tank it had no bolt on front mounts! The tank was advertised as a 1964-1966 CA95 tank, but was actually for a 1959-1962 model.

The previous tank I purchased was correct, but the bottom was rotted out. After derusting and making sure the tank was fume free, I cut the mounts out of the bottom and threw the tank away.

I am building a CA160 at the same time, so I compared the tanks and they were almost a perfect match. The only thing missing on the CA95 tank were the front mounts.

So in the following two pics you will see what I did to make the tank work.

Below is the CA95 frame used as a fixture to set the mounts on the tank. You can see that the tank was stripped to bare steel. The mounts were derusted and their surface ground flat and clean. A few dots of JB Weld epoxy was added to the mounts near the center as not to contamnate the up coming weld.

Once the epoxy was cured the mounts were once again brushed clean and welded on by my fab guy. He knows that I can make a gas tank fume free and safe to weld.

Below is the finished welded mounts
The refit was spot on. Soon the tank will be primed and await color.

Last edited by Spokes; 08-20-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: re-adding pic
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM

5-2-10

Here in Ky it rained 2 days straight. 6+ inches. So instead of body work, today was rebuilding control switches. I found on ebay a left and right set of handlebar controls that were beat. Bad wiring, missing ends and the throttle side had no wire at all.

Now they are like new. I had purchased a couple of wire harnesses from ebay. One wire harnes was burnt and beat. So it became the donor wire source for the controls. I also removed the front wheel rim from the broken hub. I will vibratory clean the spokes and await another hub. In the meantime within a week the rest of the body parts, less one side cover, will be sandblasted along with the CA160 parts.

The CA95 will take a backseat to the CA160 as summer is close at hand. The CA160 will be done by June. Then back to the slow progress of the CA95.

I am looking for handlebar perches, any condition, with or without handles, and the bottom of the chain guard, any condition. Also a throttle pipe.