FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM

No tools needed. The trim is soft nylon and trims with scissors.
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:06 PM

The build from scratch before starting. I will post the results as soon as I get it uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqKI...eature=channel
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM

The engine started. I rode the bike around the property. But alas, I have to pull the engine. I sprung a real strong oil leak exactly at the head and cylinder. It is at the oil passage. I will take some pics of what I find. On the bright side, tranny, clutch, starter,throttle, carb all worked very well. Basically I did gamble that the surface of the head and cylinder were flat. Being that the engine is made of of several, I think I have to have the head and cylinder machined before re assembly. Not a tragic problem, just a slight delay finishing the bike.
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:04 AM

Easy to check with a steel rule Chip, you couldn't, NO, you wouldn't , would you ? no you can't have forgoten, DID YOU ? yes, they are GREEN and sorta round

Sam.
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
Easy to check with a steel rule Chip, you couldn't, NO, you wouldn't , would you ? no you can't have forgoten, DID YOU ? yes, they are GREEN and sorta round

Sam.
There's no way possible that a veteran restorer and CA95 expert extraordinaire would leave out the green o-ring.

I am disappointed that his YouTube video stopped before he started the engine, though.

Spokes, let us know what happened. I saw an infomercial with some spray stuff that sealed gutters and row boats, to maybe we can pitch in and get you some of that stuff.
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM

I will get my video's on youtube asap. All of you will like the one of me riding around the back yard, smoke from one cylinder, which should clear up and the imfamous leak. No sam, I did not forget the green "o" ring! I even put in new knock pins! But alas, maybe putting a head from one engine and a cylinder from another without machining the 1st might be the issue. We will soon see. Thanks for the fine compliment By the Lake... But this is a project that required used parts from mix and match. I have not heard of this kind of thing being done before. Doing a quick teardown to find what I did wrong is no big deal. Just a couple of hours and I shall know.
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM

I over looked something..I did not tighten the cylinder head. I forgot that I mounted the engine and then got transfered 1400 miles south. After racking my brain...I laid a wrench on the cylinder nuts and found they were snug to say the least.

Tomorrow I tighten all the bolts and give it another shot. It's funny how moving house and shop 1400 miles and starting managing commodity at a new plant with twice the capacity of the old plant distracts one from building a small bike. But at least I have access to aerospace grease......LOL
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I over looked something..I did not tighten the cylinder head. I forgot that I mounted the engine and then got transfered 1400 miles south. After racking my brain...I laid a wrench on the cylinder nuts and found they were snug to say the least.

Tomorrow I tighten all the bolts and give it another shot. It's funny how moving house and shop 1400 miles and starting managing commodity at a new plant with twice the capacity of the old plant distracts one from building a small bike. But at least I have access to aerospace grease......LOL
I did exactly the same thing last year with my '72 CB175 restoration ... forgot to torque the head nuts. That bike would idle just fine, but when you gave it some throttle, it sounded like dynamite exploding up front.

Looking forward to your update ... fingers crossed.
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Ran the engine after the head tightening. Looks like I have to pull the motor and tear down the the top end to see where the issue is.
Below is a close up shot using my inspection camera. You are looking underneath the lowest head fin, at where the cylinder and head meet,
ignition side of the engine.

As you can see the engine is perfectly clean with clean oil. Tear down is not a big deal when all of the parts are clean.

Again, on the positive side of the story, tranny, clutch, valve lash, timing, starter, harness, connections, switch, carb, tank petcock, controls and the rest of the build turned out perfect. This is a great lesson for all. Even an experienced hobby mechanic can miss a beat..
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:50 AM

With my engine going back together in the next 4-6 weeks, I'm quite interested in learning what you find.

Are you considering adding an engine oil dye then running it for a bit to help make the leak path more visible?
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:00 AM

No, I'm sure the leak is from the oil passage. It may be the placement of the green "o" ring, forgot the "o" ring or a warped head. We will all know in a couple of days.
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Oh no! Well the bike looks great and these little engines are easy to go through from top to bottom. I'm sure you'll have it sorted this week. I had a head gasket sealing problem with a V8 engine that I used solid head gaskets on. As soon as I got it all installed I started it up and instantly started mixing oil and coolant. I got to tear that engine down two times before I sorted the issue. Makes me just yell "GO FIGURE!" every time something like this happens. I do not envy the occupation of shop mechanic. With the complicated machines of today anything can happen. I love working on old iron.

I think a custom color Honda is worth as much as an original black or red one. It all depends on the condition and tastefulness of the restoration job. It's really nice to see a Honda cruising around with a candy paint job.
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Default The Answer

I have to admit that there have been a few times in my life that for some reason, I make a completely inexcusable mechanical error. The reason the engine squirted oil...?? The little green "O" ring? Nope....it's there and installed properly, Mismatched machined surface between the cylinder head and cylinder? No. It was an ID 10 T error

It squirted oil because I failed to install the cam chain gasket. The engine will be reassembled..with a new head gasket and the cam chain gasket.

phew.....
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now you may sleep tonight. :]
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
It squirted oil because I failed to install the cam chain gasket. The engine will be reassembled..with a new head gasket and the cam chain gasket.
The rectangular o-ring type thing? I'm surprised that would have caused such a big leak.