FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:37 PM

Default Stever's 50 mile round trip ride report

Thank You FourWheelForum members. Your information and support allowed me to accomplish my ride today.
Wednesday evening I mentioned to my wife I was planning to ride to work Friday. First thing she said was "Better go get that Jacket." So the next day I bought a bright yellow and black jacket with hard pads all over it. I bought it at our local Honda Shop rather than online and I am glad I did. I didn't know there are different types of protective jackets depending on a riders seating position. The reason I am writing about the jacket is that it made a huge difference in the ride. Combined with my white helmet, I felt very visible. I noticed other drivers were looking at me, which usually doesn't happen. I think they might of been making sure I wasn't a motorcycle cop, on a very small motorcycle. That, combined with all those pockets and pads the jacket gave me a much more secure feeling than I've had while riding in the past. On to the ride...
My job is 22 miles away, but that is by taking the main highway, so I mapped out a route on back roads that was a few miles longer, but one that I could ride at a more leasurely pace. I made sure I had my cell phone, some tools, and a battery tender in case my battery was dead by the time I got to work. I didn't need any of these and when it came time to come home the starter cranked the motor over like the battery had plenty of juice left. I was surprised by that because I had all the lights running for 50 minutes or so that morning. The CA95 seemed most comfortable at 40 miles per hour. If I pushed for more the clutch began to slip. Not enough clutch for all that horsepower more likely I don't have it adjusted properly. Going into corners it really felt like an antique motorcycle, too fast and it wanted to porpoise. I don't know if that is because of the old style front fork or something else. One last thing, I am impressed with how little gas it used. I felt like I pushed the bike pretty hard but I measured only an inch and three quarter drop in fuel level for the entire trip. As I was getting ready to head home, Ashley, our second grade teacher said "Steve, is that your motorcycle? It's really cute!"
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:50 AM

Sweet...sounds like you had fun..!

Live it Up
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Very cool. I've experienced your clutch slippage situation myself, and I'm certain that I've tried several adjustments. It's possible that our clutch springs have lost some strength over the decades, and perhaps the modern oils are a bit more slippery. It seems to happen less as my new clutch plates wear in.

Glad to hear that you've achieve that milestone you set for yourself. It's funny how these little motorbikes can still be useful (and economical) transportation after so many decades.
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:03 AM

What an awesome ride, well planned and executed.Congrats!
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Battery Fully Charged after by long ride.

I was really surprised today when after putting the Battery Tender on the CA95 it indicated a fully charged battery. This was after about 2 hours running time at 30-40 miles per hour with all lights on.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Yes, long rides allow the system to charge the battery. Unlike my short rides that eventually lead to a low charged battery. Congrats on the great ride on your bike. One of these days I want find a way to get music in one ear under my helmet. I think listening to the Beach Boys song "California Girls" while riding the 150 Dream would be a great retro visit back to my boyhood.
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:33 AM

Stever , glad your ride was safe and uneventfull ! I'm sure you recieved your share of stares as you rode to and from work .
Clutch slippage is a pain in the you know what , try changing oil again . BTL mentioned clutch springs that maybe weak . I have Honda CR80 springs in 2 of my bikes . These are a much stiffer spring ,maybe too stiff , but no clutch slippage . I bought some clutch springs for the Chinese Lifan motors that don't seem as stiff but haven't installed as yet . These may reduce the clutch lever pull somewhat .
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:39 AM

I believe you can even shim your current springs with a flat washer as a cheapo fix.
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM

Thanks Guys:
I really appreciate your words. I want to ride again this Friday weather permitting, so I will go with the quick cheap fix first and install new springs when I either find another bike to ride or finish the CB160 so I can ride it, but that is probably going to be months.