FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:49 AM

Default C95

Hi new member here from the uk, can someone give some advice rebuilt my c95
And it will only run with the choke on there are no air leaks the carb has a new keyster kit in it if I throttle up a bit then it revs real high then dies fuel level float is where it should be and flows ok this is my second c95 but never come across this before
Many thanks
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:26 AM

Corrosion blockages in the air jet passages will affect the carb performance. There is a main jet in the center of the carb body. You will find it by inverting the carb and removing the bowl. This jet must be clean as well as the jets in the roof of the carb body.

Clean the jet pasages in the carb body as well. Guitar strings work well to clean the small passages.

I have also adjusted the float a little beyond the recommended measurement.

The need for the choke means the carb needs extra vacuum to draw in fuel (clogged air passages(jets) and the high revs is a lean to fuel depletion symptom.
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:36 AM

Default C95 carb

Hi thanks for your reply yes all jets have been cleaned this is an odd situation after rebuild I took it for a test (mot) in the uk 6 miles and it went ok 1 week later and tried to start it and now have this problem would like to try another carb when I find one but I think the ca95 is different that has a power jet I am told
Regards
Graham
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM

Then the vent in the gas cap is not functional, no vent..no flow. Try running the bike without a cap.
We have a member in the UK who is the master, perhaps he will chime in.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I"m not the master but I'll chime in. Welcome to the forum Graham. Right from the start I would say you could likely have blockage. For the record this would call for a good soaking in some solution, a sonic tank cleaning if possible and some compressed air.

Next for me I would check the jets to make sure they are correct. Here is a some discussion on the topic of the CA95 carb jets and fuel delivery. And like Spokes said the fuel caps have tiny tiny holes in them for venting that can easily plug up and hold up the fuel.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:51 AM

While Spokes is correct you need to check the fuel bowl vent tube as seen the pic. It's easy to miss this orifice, it plugs up easily with outside dirt, or if you use the wrong fuel hose size, like me, you can block the vent. Same deal though the bowl has to be vented to get flow. Additionally it is very easy to have debris in the cleanest of tanks, and debris small enough to get into the air circuits of the carb are usually too small for these old eyes to see. I suggest filter after the petcock as well if not already done.
One more good reason for vibratory cleaning of the carbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb port.jpg (299.0 KB, 23 views)
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Default C95

Thank you all for your help I will get the carb in a cleaning tank as a last result and try to get a spare carb here in the uk to try if that is the problem and will let you all know when fixed
Regards to all graham
Anyone know who the master is over here or where in the uk is he
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

You'll be wanting Sam Green- you can search for his posts or likely he'll find you.
Welcome-
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM

He found me guys and I've just PMed him.
I had a PM from Graham which I replied to before I read this post/thread.
I've not been on much of late, I've been laid up and house bound (most of the time) since before Christmas.
I underwent a full examination yesterday with a different Doctor and it seems I am riddled with arthritis.
On top of all that, I've been evicted from my workshop by my new landlord and all my bikes, equipment and spares have been put in storage by a friend so at the moment, I haven't a clue where anything is.
I'll help Graham if I can but I can't guarantee when, I'm sure I will have a spare carb somewhere.

Sam.
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM

I am sorry to hear the details Sam. I wish you strengh. I also send along this video
http://joshspector.com/2011/02/13/no...at-commercial/
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM

And well wishes to you Sam! You'll likely be busier in retirement than you'd ever expect and you'll have more time come visit.
Why do landlords get to be so rotten?
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I am sorry to hear the details Sam. I wish you strengh. I also send along this video
http://joshspector.com/2011/02/13/no...at-commercial/
Thanks Chip but I've been doing that for 20 years.

Sam.
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
And well wishes to you Sam! You'll likely be busier in retirement than you'd ever expect and you'll have more time come visit.
Why do landlords get to be so rotten?
Thanks Larry, I doubt I'll be visiting the States much on my pension but I'm thinking of starting my own web site and finding out how to sell stuff on Ebay.

Sam.
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:45 AM

I can give you some tips about selling on ebay. I've sold 1029 items with 100% score. I've sold bikes, trucks, antique's and parts galore worldwide
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Thank's Chip, I'm not quite ready yet, got to get myself right first but I will get back to you on this.

Graham, carb is parceled up and ready to go.
I put the fuel feed back in but it's not a tight fit, run a little Araldite round it before you try to run it.
Another thing I thought of after speaking with you, don't over tighten the carb on the studs, it will warp the face.
Put a straight edge across the face of your own carb with the O ring in place, I doubt if this would be the problem in your case but if the nuts have been over tightened in the past, you could be sucking in air.

Sam.