FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Progress report on my 63'

I am getting closer to completion on my 63'. I thought I'd give a partial list of whats been done and whats left.

1. Painted rims and body as well as painted the tires(whitewall), polished then lightly painted head with aluminum chrome.

2. cleaned carb, petcock.

3. ported, polished and shaved several thousandths off the head, valve job, balanced the crank. Polished all aluminum parts.

Whats left...

!. Exhaust

2. Coat inside the tank

3. Install wiring and convert from 6 volt to 12 volt system, add blinkers, and other wiring customizations.

4. Have ignition keys cut

5. custom seat made

6.. register and insure

The first picture is roughly what I started with.
The second is where I am at on it now as of today May 31st.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mockup1.jpg (153.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 676A0246.jpg (163.1 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-31-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:36 PM

Default 63

Its looking pretty sharp at this point. I wouldnt have chosen those colors off a color chip, but they look good together. What do you have in mind for exhaust? im at that point now, I have welded a palm sized rust hole on the inside of my original muffler closed and am using it for now. The notion of 325 plus for new pipes has me wondering about alternatives. My left pipe is still in good shape and the right one only has the repair on the side toward the wheel. I have thought that maybe Barbeque paint on the inside of both pipes in black might work for a while.
Curt
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Really coming along now! I'd love to see a write-up on the 6V to 12V conversion when it comes up...
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Curt, I've been pondering that same question for over 6 years now. One of my mufflers was in ok shape except it looked like the rear baffle was smashed with a hammer, and the other was rotted out in the usual rear 1 to 2/3rds from the exhaust tip.

I'm guessing moisture has no where to go and just sits in that lowest valley breeding rust, not to mention exhaust gases rust things very well on their own accord.

The first thing I did to my pipes were to find where the rust holes stopped then cut them both at a 45 degree angle, I still have both of these sad abominations I had planned on using years ago. I may still use them if I happen to move and dislike my neighbors, because they look like short megaphone trumpets lol.

I also have thought of the old BMW or Triumph style pipes. Although, craigslist seems to come up with some nice new stock pipes really cheap, from the yuppie Harley guys "upgrading" around here pretty often, those are tempting and still a possibility, Since I've seen a couple for 50 to 75 bucks brand new.

I really like fishtail pipes I think they go with the Dream styling more so than the stock pipes and are what I'll probably use, if they prove too loud I'll insert some baffles. These I haven't decided on the length yet since I haven't had a tape measure to see where I want them to stop. But they run anywhere between 30 bucks each and up to the dreaded couple of hundred. A google search for "fishtail extension pipe" under shopping will find the best prices.

Compwiz, No worries I plan on doing a full write up tutorial when its conversion time. Hopefully, Before June is out.
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM

Default pipes

Both of mine have small BB sized hole in them that was put there by the manufacturer. Im assuming that the holes are drains for moisture. I apparently didnt work well though as the right one had a palm sized rust out in the last 4 or 5 inches. Its the one that I had welded up. I could use mine as is if I can find baffles for them. When I had my first ca95, I thought it was cool to remove the baffles but I put them back in in about a week.So much for being a 18 year old kid. I also got a big reminder Saturday. The last time I filled up an empty benley gas tank it was about 65 cents. Saturday it was just under 5 bucks. Such things we remember.
Curt
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Hey Curt I thought I'd let you know I PM'ed you in case you didn't see the alert up there.

Gas um yeah, I'm pretty sure the instructions at the pump should now read: Bend over and insert nozzle.
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Default right pipe

Thanks for the heads up on the pipe. It looks worse than the one that I have. If i could take the inside of that one and mate it up with the outside of mine Id really have something. I guess it has been a really long time since I filled benly up.
Curt

Last edited by weestrom05; 05-31-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: addnl info
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM

I will be building some straight pipes for my build from scratch CA95. Check my album for pics of the black CA95, it has my straight pipes.

Here's how.

Buy 1-1/2" Electric Conduit. Cut one end straight and the other end any way or lengh you want. I had the pipe bent in a 90 degree and sawed off the end to give that turned down look.

Buy a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" muffler adapter. The 1-1/4" will adapt the 1-1/2 conduit pipe to the Honda exaust pipe. Buy a pipe hanger to mount the straight pipes to one of the mounts that fit the original muffler.

You can weld the adapter of put a set screw (out of sight) to hold it together.

Here's the kicker! You can polish the conduit to a chrome like finish....

If you dig a fishtail..just adapt the end to fit! The straight pipes sound real cool.

Ain't gonna see more power..But you will be heard!
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM

Curt these baffles/diffusers are for an s65 which look very very close to a ca95 if not the same. If baffles are what you're lacking then these might be just what the Dr ordered. 11 bucks each shipping included NOS it's worth a shot maybe? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...e#ht_901wt_931

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-31-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM

Spokes those look nice, Seeing the thinner pipe on there has me thinking of some fatter pipes, I might splurge on some fat fish/sharktails with glass packs, since I really like beefy looking bikes. Like the fat bastard pictured below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fatBloke2.jpg (62.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg fatBloke3.jpg (63.7 KB, 12 views)
Unread 06-01-2011, 03:24 AM

Wink

Here are several pic's of my blue bike with Santee Fishtails mocked up . The pipes are 1.75" dia. ,straight pipes ,no mufflers. I'll finish the mounts once I get my wheels back from Buchanan .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6010367.JPG (292.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P6010371.JPG (305.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by kartgreen; 06-01-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: added pic's
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM

The fishes do look nice on it Waiting on parts is no fun, although it does give you more time to think about little tweaks.
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ah that color combo is awesome and good to see something quite different. Exhaust is a very important element of the bikes styling for sure. I was messing around with a set of the exhaust bends that have the flanges on them yesterday thinking of what I should do with them. Fun stuff.

Now polishing electrical conduit... interesting.

Last edited by Smithers; 06-02-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:30 PM

Default dope.

simply dope. hope to find the finished product.
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Grand- you'll get to see the finished product, hopefully soon. I've been waiting on a few mail order items for what seems like forever. It'll definitely be finished before October is out.

P.S. To anyone working on joining exhaust extensions don't bother with the exhaust sealer patch type of stuff, it dries, acts and looks exactly like concrete and will flake and fall off and not hold any sort of lasting bond.