FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM

Default Fuel Grade Recomendation?

Hi Everyone
I had my CA95 on the open road yesterday and I am interested in getting all I can reasonably expect from this little old engine. I hate to admit I filled her up with a fresh tank of regular and I wonder if that was a mistake.
Also, on this test ride, my family followed me downtown in the wagon to the frozen yogurt shop. We went in and got our yogurt and sat down. Pretty soon a guy about 30 or so came up to our table and said "you're the only one with a helmet under your table so that must be your Baby Dream out front!" Turns out he and his father have been salvaging motorcycles out of barns and backyards for many years. He has hundreds of them. About a dozen of these are various models of Dreams. The funny thing he told me was although he's seen them at shows, mine was the first he has seen on the road being used for it's intended purpose. I don't think I can remember seeing one either. At least since I was a kid.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:54 PM

Nice.
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Nice story, Steve. I'd love to see this guy's collection. When I ride my Benly, I typically get this question from enthusiastic old-timers: "Is that a 300?", and when I shake my head and say "nah, it's the 150", their smile seems to dim and they utter something like "ah, well it's nice anyway" as they walk away. Too funny.

I've had fuels from 87 to 92 octane in my CA95 and it's made no noticeable difference. Runs the same for me. You shouldn't have any issues.
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Just if possible try to find non-ethanol fuel. Usually marina's have it if you can't find it locally at the your gas station. Compression is low enough any fuel should give decent performance. IF you are really lucky and have local airport see if they will sell you 5 gallons of 100LL av gas (the feds are try to eliminate that too). 100 octane and contains the lead these old valves and seats are used too. Just be prepared to pay 5 or 6 bucks a gallon.
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM

It's unrelated, but I run premium in our 1964 429 cu in Cadillac, otherwise it detonates and burps and runs-on when you go to turn it off.
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
It's unrelated, but I run premium in our 1964 429 cu in Cadillac, otherwise it detonates and burps and runs-on when you go to turn it off.
It's mainly driven by compression ratios - the higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane requirement to avoid pre-ignition/detonation.

The '64 Cadillac 429 CID had a 10.5:1 CR compared to 9.7:1 for our beloved CA95 Benly (but only 8.3:1 for the general export C95), so the '64 Cadillac would likely require a higher octane. You can drop that Caddy in my driveway any time.
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Intersesting....where did they generate the extra compression w/ regard to the difference from the CA95 to C95?....piston height/shape or combustion chamber?

Kev?
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegeKev View Post
Intersesting....where did they generate the extra compression w/ regard to the difference from the CA95 to C95?....piston height/shape or combustion chamber?

Kev?
Sam is the authority on that topic, but I'm fairly certain that the CA95 has a different piston that the C95.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
It's mainly driven by compression ratios - the higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane requirement to avoid pre-ignition/detonation.

The '64 Cadillac 429 CID had a 10.5:1 CR compared to 9.7:1 for our beloved CA95 Benly (but only 8.3:1 for the general export C95), so the '64 Cadillac would likely require a higher octane. You can drop that Caddy in my driveway any time.
Interesting...You'd better make some space, it's over 21 feet long.

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:05 AM

Land cruiser! Nice Caddy...
I think the compression is due to a bit more squish in the combustion chamber.
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Interesting...You'd better make some space, it's over 21 feet long.

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr
Too funny. When I was 16, I bought a highly-used 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood factory limousine. I thought it was the most beautiful thing on the road. It got between 4 and 8 MPG and I really couldn't afford to keep it fed with my pizza shop wages. Sure wish I had that now.