FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Default CA95 wont start

Hi guys,
As some of you know, I picked up a 1964 CA95 last week. pretty clean. i got it to start last week. However, I tried to start today, it wont start. I must have kicked the shit out of it. So, what's the issue? flooded? electrical? any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank
btw..anyone in Northern Cali?
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:51 PM

My guess would your bat-tree died if you don't have a trickle tender on it or run it everyday at enough rpms to keep it charged but not enough to overload it...youre gonna keep running into this, watch out for your key position too. Ok lets say it isnt the battery, the starter motor turns and ya get some horn action. Spark would be the next check pull a plug keep it in the socket and have some one kick it while you hold it against the metal case to ground it and look for a spark as they kick it slowly if you see one good if you dont look at the plug is it wet and smell like gas? if yes then its being flooded, is it oily? then it is fouled and needs to be cleaned and regapped. If then you still dont get a spark try another plug first before continuing to troubleshoot. if you are getting a spark on both plugs...are you getting fuel? keep one plug out and pour about a soda capfull of gas in the sparkplug hole. replace plug and see if it fires, if it does bingo youre not getting fuel, does your throttle move freely? is your tank coated? is your petcock on and clean? The petcock on should come before the plug check...turn the petcock to off, remove the fuel line from the carb and away from the bike and remove the gas cap and turn the petcock on does fuel come out? if so the petcock is clean if not your petcock is fouled, dismantle it carefully and clean it, replace it and try the hose/cap off petcock on test again, does it flow? good replace everything and try to start it. Go through those checks and steps and get back and let me know whats happening if it still wont start then we will go into more trouble shooting mmmk?
~jim

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-12-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM

thank...i'll keep you posted. Appreciate the info.
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:48 PM

ok, finally charge up the battery and tried started it again. motor turn over but doesnt start. Pull the plugs, they're both wet and no spark. So is it the spark plugs? should i go get a new set of plug and try again?
thank in advance!
Unread 05-14-2011, 03:16 PM

1st make sure you have the key in the right position. From the insert position two clicks up. If you move the key one click down, you can turn the motor over all day without starting.

Just a quick suggestion
Unread 05-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
1st make sure you have the key in the right position. From the insert position two clicks up. If you move the key one click down, you can turn the motor over all day without starting.

Just a quick suggestion
one click down, that the position i thought it was suppose to be on?! damn it!
Unread 05-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Whenever you're unsure of the key position just pop out a spark plug and hold it against the cylinder while kickin it over. Then you'll know for sure. I've had to do this on so many old bikes....