FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Clutch adjustment

I haven't seen this particular question about the clutches on these things so here it goes. When I torque the 4 bolts on the clutch lifter plate to specs, I cannot squeeze the clutch lever. I then redo the clutch adjustment to the point of being able to squeeze the clutch lever. With me so far? When I do that, the clutch doesn't move. When I back the retaining bolts out on the clutch plate, I can work the clutch just fine but the bolts aren't torqued to specs. The lifter rod had a slight bend in it but has been straightened. I'm not missing any parts, according to the service manual. Hopefully someone had seen this problem before and has a fix for it. Thanks and I'll take the answer off the air.
Unread 03-20-2011, 06:48 PM

1st thing out of the gate is to clean the clutch actuator. It will be the large slotted barrel in the left side of the engine at the sprocket cover. Often this actuator is gummed up with old and hard grease and dirt. Clean and re lubricate with chasis grease. Adjust the clutch with the actuator as well as the adjustment at the lever.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-20-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Now for the sake of discussion lets say the clutch adjuster had been cleaned and repacked with new grease and the problem still existed. Step 2?
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Ok, Just for discussion lets start with the diagram of the clutch

Then lets say the clutch has been fiddled with before you got it. (You say the push rod was bent at one time.)
What could go wrong.

1.) The clutch plates are oil glued to the clutch disks.
2.) The wrong clutch push rod was used
3.) The wrong clutch plates were used. (unlikely)
4.) The clutch plates were installed out of sequence.
5.) Wong Clutch Spings
Also in addition,
6.)Hard soap based grease and dirt in the actuator.
7.)Damaged clutch cable

Any one or combination of things can cause your problem
Unread 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Ok, the clutch plates are new. The lifter rod is supposed to have one rounded end and one flat end, Yes? With the round end fitting into the clutch lifter joint. The springs were within tolerances. I got a cable off ebay that might be a little long. And I truly believe someone tried to rebuild the engine before I got it. Thanks for the post. It gives me something to look at.
Unread 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Nope. The FLAT end of the push rod goes into the actuator. The round end goes into the clutch and fits in #9 on the diagram.