View Single Post
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks so much for your reply and good wishes Spokes. I finally had some time to spend with my recent acquisition and a quick inspection revealed that a) The tank was probably drained when it was stored since it was perfectly clean and rust-free. Since I'm only using ethanol-free gas there doesn't seem to be a reason to line it. b) There wasn't a petcock problem since there wasn't a petcock. Seriously, the original was removed, the 4 holes were plugged, a balance hose was fitted and a "T" fitting and inline petcock were added - Rube Goldberg style. It's not pretty but it doesn't leak.

I changed the oil and plugs, installed the charged battery and, with help from a friend and a little fiddling of the choke and the throttle, she started and ran well. Not wanting to push my luck, I let it warm up enough to check for oil leaks (there weren't any) and I shut her down.

My next step was assessment and, of course, everything that was made of rubber (front & rear footrest rubber, kickstart rubber, shifter rubber, fuel tank mounts, fuel lines, and tires) was dry-rotted. I was able to source almost everything stateside, received some of it already and I'm waiting for the rest. The only rubber part I haven't been able to locate here or in Thailand is the front rubber mudguard. It was missing and I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone knows of a source or can help with a photo or template.

The other problem I'm having is with the centrifugal oil strainer. I (think I) located it next to the stator but I'll be damned if I can remove it and the Clymer manual is of no help; any suggestions?