View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Speedometer issue

Happy Father's Day to all.

I have only posted once before, but have been getting a lot of good info from the forum, which is a wealth of information. Attached is a pic of my 1969 CA160. She was sitting in a man's garage when I found her and I have broken her down moderately to clean her and polish away 40 years of oxidation. I have changed both tires which were dryrotted; recovered the seat, which was torn; changed the plugs, adjusted the points; cleaned and rebuilt the carburator and petcock; and added mirrors. I don't want to do a complete rebuild at this point as she has cleaned up very well and is only original once.

My problem at hand is with the speedometer. When I replaced the front tire, other than cleaning the speedometer drive gear box, I did not disconnect or tinker with it in any way. When I took it for a test drive the speedometer went to 90 (when doing about 30) and made a bad whirling noise.
Question: when I take the tire off and inspect the drive gear box, what type of damage should I be looking for, if any? The gear box looked like a rotor type design. If the damage is in the drive gear box, will it be noticable to inspection? Will it more likely be the cable only or could I have effected the speedometer as well. Is there something I failed to line up or do when I installed the tire?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA160-20.jpg (474.2 KB, 3 views)