View Single Post
Unread 05-23-2015, 05:53 AM

Default Anybody have an idea what caused this?

Got out of work early yesterday so I registered my 1963 and took it out for a spin and went about 5 miles to get it inspected. On the way back, about a 1/2 mile from home, the engine seemed to be losing power almost like it was running out of gas so I pulled over and it sat there idling away but it sounded like a super loose lifter on the shifter side or severe piston slap. No smoke though but there was some smoke coming out of the breather tube from the head.

I hobbled it home, checked the oil level which was fine. I let it cool then checked valve clearances which were fine. So I pulled the engine and tore the top end down last night. Plenty of oil everywhere on the parts. Everything looked fine except for the shifter side piston. It was scuffed pretty bad and the cylinder also. The rings were free also. Took the rings off and the piston was really sloppy in the cylinder. The other piston looked as good as new except for carbon on the dome along with the cylinder. I have never seen only one piston like this.

Just finished tearing the rest of the engine down to clean out any crap (aluminimum) from the piston scuffing getting in the engine and ordered new oversize OEM pistons and rings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca95 exhaust.jpg (143.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ca95 intake.jpg (132.9 KB, 17 views)