View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

This is basically what I've got on the left side. I wanted to post this picture because it also shows my main tools in the background. I have a grinder with a grinding wheel and a grinder with a cutoff disc on it. I recommend buying 15-20 cutoff discs because if you have thick steel they burn out fast. If you buy 5" cutting discs they last a LOT longer than the 4'5" discs... so take that into consideration. You just have to be SUPER careful using these tools. They cut very very straight lines on their own without any guides... they are amazingly fast too.

You will go crazy changing wheels on the grinders. I highly recommend you have a nice one and then go buy a cheap one like a craftsman or a Harbor Freight special. The higher end grinders are always more quite and that makes a difference when you are working with them for more than 5 minutes! MAKE SURE AND WEAR EAR PROTECTION the whole time you are working with this sort of stuff. The cheap ear foam plugs just pop in real fast and you can still hear most everything including the stereo so you get way used to it. Plus when you are grinding and welding bits of steel just want to go into your ears naturally so you will actually feel your ear foams blocking fragments that are trying to deflect into your ears... seriously ear protection is important.