View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up Morris Motorcycle OIl

As most of you know early Hondas as well as most other motorcycles made before the 70's have a very rudimentary oil filtration system and the motors were made to operate with oils that haven't been available for many years . Earlier this year I began looking for an oil thats compatible with older motorcycles and found Morris Classic motorcycle oil . This is an English company but they have a stateside distributor -Classic Oil Supply in Richmond Virginia .
After speaking with Classic Oil Supply I ordered a case of oil ,They mixed the case ( half 30 wt. / half 40wt. ) . All 3 of my CA95's had clutch slippage issues as well as a light blue haze from the exhaust . I was using 30wt. car oil in them . After switching the bikes to the classic oil my clutch slippage problems have gone away , and as an added bonus I don't notice the blue haze from the exhaust anymore .
Keep in mind these bikes aren't ridden very much so any increase in performance is welcome .
In August I purchased a 1975 CB 500 T that had been resting for 4/5 years and of course the clutch plates were locked together . I got the bike running but rolling it down the drive and popping the clutch lever I couldn't get the clutch plates unstuck . I'd though I may have to take the clutch apart but I went ahead and changed oil ( Morris Classic )ran it on the centerstand for a few minutes and let the bike sit overnight . I went out the next morning and fired up the bike pulled the clutch and into gear it went . Took the bike for a ride and in about 5 miles no clutch slippage and the actuation was and remains smooth .
So , all in all I'm pleased with the oil from Morris ,it's a low detergent oil with a zink additive which you won't find in modern oils any more . If you want to learn more about Morris oils their website is being revamped ( morrislubricaants .co.uk ) but Classic Oil Supplys website will give you info .