View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Soooo it's time to update. Last weekend I dropped into a left hander at a pretty decent rate of speed and went to shift down a gear... but my shifter wasn't there. I guess I didn't put enough lock-tite on the rear bolt that connects the rear heim joint. Another rider in the group had some spare metric allan bolts so it wasn't much of problem and gave us a second to stretch out. Being in such a hurry I assembled the linkage by attaching it on the outside of the shift arm. This kept me from getting a firm upshift 20% of the time which was annoying. But once I got back I made sure to get the correct bolt and to re-assemble the shift linkage on the inside of the mounting locations so there is no chance of interference with the shifter.

I'll get a pic up tomorrow. It's much better and having the correct bolt is nice too. Sato didn't include a correct pair of bolts in the first place. My rearsets are the older versions so maybe they have corrected the hardware which is included.

As you can see the Titanium bolt I got to replace the one supplied by Sato has a nice shoulder on it for the heim to ride on. The bolt from Sato had threads all the way up the bolt and it was just long enough to screw into the linkage mounting position. Well the new one I have installed is long enough to go through the mounting location on the shifter and also long enough for a lock nut to fasten to it which eliminates any chance of the bolt coming loose again.