View Single Post
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I have read a ton of review on all sorts of tires for cars, trucks and motorcycles. I like to make decisions that aren't influenced by review but I like to look up reviews just for fun and to maybe learn something about the tires that I'm looking for. For instance some people complain about the tire not being available anymore or hard to get. This is a real problem sometimes. I bought tires for a car that I simply was not able to get replacements for as they were in a shortage of some sort so I was S.O.L with those. Buy popular brand and model tires so that when you need a replacement it is not an issue!

The manufacture websites also offer a little information on things such as wet weather performance and road noise level. Some tires are great on road noise and comfort but lack wet weather performance which is something I look for. I learned a lot trying out different terrain tires for my Toyota Tacoma. I have tried a few medium terrain tires and have been most faithful to BFG Mud Terrains due to their insane off-road grip, great on-road grip, durability and puncture resistance. Then I went to some Goodyear Silent Armor medium tires and was extremely impressed, so much that I won't have anything else on my truck. This is another story I'll expand on in my other thread. But tire technology has changed enough that you can have the best off all tire characteristics in one tire. The Silent Armor has shown me this but having it all in one tire isn't cheap. So it's just up to the truck owner to decide what he wants.

If you want high mileage then there are tires that are more commercial looking and give you just that. It costs more but it comes with a mileage warranty. If you want a more aggressive off road style then you can buy that at a lesser price since tread wear and tire load capacity isn't a huge issue. Then you can buy a middle of the road tire. But to get the high tread wear you will have to spend some money indeed. I don't mind spending the money if I know people who can personally attest to a specific tire model. But there is no way I can take a salesmans word for it. Sales people can tell me all day long how great a tire is but only their sales records of different tires can tell me which tire people like.