View Single Post
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Do make note of the piston orientation if retaining the pistons. On the stock pistons you might find an arrow, meant to face forward, like in the pic. You didn't report the bore size so you may have an overbore already.
On some of my rebuilds I don't mind building the engine a little loose, as I mostly never intend to use the engine hard. While a 20 thou end gap is a lot (book calls out .029 as the limit), I usually don't come as close to the 6 thou my book calls for. I think my last motor was at about .008"-.010". Remember even if you just hone or break the glaze the gap will increase so you may be looking at up sizing or just finding a suitable cylinder set.
I don't know if you could get away with the next size ring and adjust the gap allowing you to the keep the pistons.
Regarding the piston marking, it is my understanding that there is indeed a piston pin offset that necessitates the marking.
Don't get me wrong, I'm old school (enough) that I still like the feel of paper and even greasy paper, in my hands. I buy a manual for everything I have, even if don't use it. I'll be ok when the EMP goes off......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1924 (2).jpg (167.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2489.jpg (243.6 KB, 5 views)