View Single Post
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Pretty obvious? I haven't taken the cam chain tensioner out yet and the chain is off the sprocket letting the exhuast cam rotate freely whenever it wants! Oh man you KNOW you have to take the cylinder head off and check for valve indents on the top of the pistons. So now it's time to take the cylinder head off to have a look at the valves and pistons. The worst thing that could happen is for the valves to be bent and the guides ruined as well. If this happened then I would be researching around for a big bore kit to punch this sucker out to 700cc or whatever I could get away with.

Here is a shot of the lower cover removed so you can see what's behind it. We can now see the crankshaft trigger wheel. Behind this is the small crank timing sprocket that is not removable.

To this point here is a look at all the tools I have brought out to work on this engine until this point. Not too much eh? It hardly takes any tools to do this kind of work but if you DON'T have one of these tools when you are in the process of taking it apart then you are stuck until you track them down as you need them.

Besides the normal metric wrenches and sockets I suggest a full set of metric Allen wrenches, a 12 point set of sockets (or at least the commons 10,14,17 are good to have while working on engines), an impact to remove the head bolts, a short and long extension. Don't forget the COFFEE and a good selection of music so that you lose track of time while you are doing the cleaning and detailing.

Last edited by Smithers; 12-19-2011 at 01:18 AM.