View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

So I talked with my performance machinist and he has done a few 4x heads in his time. He said I should just pop for the titanium valves and just run the valve clearance a tad loose while keeping the high quality oil fresh. He also recommended running race fuel through it to keep the lubrication qualities of the fuel in check (today's fuel is dry and doesn't lube well as we all know). Or he recommended using a fuel additive in pump fuel to keep things from premature wear.

Of course we also talked about how I should be taking the head off to check for wear in the cylinder and to see how far gone the valves are. But then I can't help but think.. what the heck I might as well change out to a new piston and rings too!

I just want to ride the thing so I'm going to put it back together tomorrow. The bike wasn't neglected so I'm not so worried about the condition of the internals so much. It was run with race fuel most of it's life. BUT I haven't even tried out the transmission so if the trans is no good I won't be caring much about the top end! I just need to see how it runs and worry about preventative maintenance later on.

Some engine cleaning action:

Last edited by Smithers; 02-13-2013 at 11:47 PM.