View Single Post
Unread 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I have always been into tech and consulting so I figured that I type something up about how things are changing in computer tech. I just can't believe how cheap this laptop is. Of course I downgraded from Windows Vista to XP. This is a no-brainer. Although this particular laptop IS eligible for the Windows 7 FREE UPGRADE when it becomes available for consumers.

The one problem with the Acer 6530? The website and packaging brags about a 250 GB hard drive BUT with the backup partitions from Acer being so huge only 110 GB of the hard drive is usable or "see-able" by Windows. What a deal breaker for most people! Later on I'll throw out some tips on how to format the hard drive into a single partition and then load XP onto it. It's not so easy at all but it's doable without any consequences. Don't let this lack of a full usable 250GB drive deter you from buying this laptop. Even Windows Vista can be configured to be very manageable. Heck, I use Vista as my primary OS on my desktop machine. But laptop hardware is designed for battery life and low system heat. Vista was designed to drain battery life and increase system heat IMO. If you don't have a pretty fast computer than Vista is going to bog down even after you optimize it and it just gets worse with time.

In my experience a fresh format on a laptop with XP Pro will provide MUCH better results. Will Windows 7 be any better for laptops than Vista? I hope so but we'll have to wait for now.