View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Finally yanked out the 5VZ. What a pain. So many wire connectors and hard to reach bolts. Coming from Honda swaps, this is certainly more difficult,

You're right man, I should have cut that radiator support. I was hoping I could preserve my A/C system by keeping the condenser and compressor in the truck, but now I see that I have to swap the 5VZ top plate onto the 1UZ compressor. So that made yanking the engine a huge pain. Had to lower my tire pressures and crank my coilovers down to clear it.

Definitely cutting it when I move the 1UZ in and out! Just need to find a welder to tack it back in...

Next step; prep engine bay for paint, remove the awful and overly complicated 4Runner charcoal cannister and begin fitting the 1UZ.

Gonna use some VHT Satin Black Epoxy to paint everything. Supposedly you can use this stuff without primer (I wouldn't), and it dries way harder than normal alkyd spray paints (Krylons, Rustoleums, etc.) Fan tips also leave a way better finish than conical tips.

Also been working on cleaning up the Green Monster. It was pretty funky when I got it, and I couldn't stand putting a nasty engine in with all the work going into this swap. Hit a bump with t-belt because I forgot to order a new tensioner.