View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now if you want to get brave and replace the fuel pump I'll run you through that in this one post. There is almost no way you can do it with gloves on since it's so damn slippery in there with the fuel. I think the Xterra had about 1/3 of a tank in it when I did the work on it so just make sure you take more fuel out if you want to make it easier on yourself. I'm still alive so having my hand in fuel for 5 minutes didn't kill me. I don't recommend more than that though! Make sure to degrease your hand and put some vitamin oil on it as fast as you can when you are done dunking your hand in there.

SO study these pictures as they will save you some time. There are four little tabs that connect the lower and upper cover that encases the fuel pump. You can use your fingers or a screwdriver to push the tabs in to release the upper cover. They are really flexible and easy to release. When you get the two from one side done the cover will open up and the pump can be pulled loose fairly quickly.

Just like you would see when you first remove the fuel sending unit:

And with the top portion of the fuel pump casing removed:

A shot of the upper enlosure removed and so you know what your working with. Having one arm in the hole you won't be able to see what you are doing. You have to work completely from feeling around, hence the reason you can't really use gloves. It's faster without them.

Here is a look at the bottom of the fuel pump enclosure. So basically it's held in the plastic housing and insulated with the foam strips. Simple enough.

Here is what the little sucker looks like out of the tank. The pump is just a small unit with a wire and hose sticking out of it. The reason it's so expensive is that is has to be super high quality as it's made by Bosche. It's a good unit and they rarely go out. Now the Jeep Grand Cherokees and Chevy trucks/suvs use them up every 5 years like clockwork! Be glad you have a high quality fuel pump.

Put in the new fuel pump just the way you removed it. Easy as that! Now go wash your hands before dinner.