View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I hope that everyone who has wired their e420c ECU took the time to wire the grounds correctly. Did you wonder why there are like 5 different grounds? Well they are sensitive in the way that they want a grounding signal from the engine block - NOT the firewall. So take care in connecting these grounds to the engine. I put a ground distribution block on the firewall that is fed a ground from the battery but a few of the posts are fed a ground signal from the engine itself for the Adaptronic.

Engine grounding on the left and battery grounding on the right side of this distribution block.

Here is a picture showing my laptop connected to the e420c ECU while I try and get the dumb Belkin f5u409 serial to USB adapter to work. Apparently there is no way to get that adapter to work with Windows 7 64-bit. I found the actual manufacture drivers from Prolific and it still wouldn't work. If your Belkin adapter doesn't work I suggest you find another computer to use or buy another hard drive to load a copy of Vista or XP onto. Maybe one day Microsoft will release some generic drivers to recognize this product but I'm not holding my breath. I put in my other hard drive with Windows XP and it recognized and installed the Belkin serial adapter without any problems.

I actually recommend using a long serial cable so that you can put the laptop on the bench instead of on the engine or in the vehicle. I eventually figured this out.