View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

As in the picture you can see that I cut underneath the curved portion along the side. With this done you can pull out the sheet metal (wear thick gloves! the cheap leather work gloves work great for everything except welding cause they catch on fire : ).

Then once you pull it out grab some big channel lock pliers or use your hands and bend it outward to make each piece concave style. You have to cut the length of the fender inside with vertical slices because there is a slight curve to the whole thing and it makes it much easier.

Then I use a big hammer with a flat side and the other side has a ball on it. This is just for metal working and they work great for stuff like this if you haven't used one before. You just tap the metal and it will do anything you want it to. The metal will fall into and up against what is left and the bottom edge will pop against the outer fender and the part that was cut will hold the bottom up when it reaches that point. You want to get the whole thing pushed up in there with the hammer and come back to tack weld it all. It makes it pretty rigid with this alone. I think I measured 8" from the firewall that I left in tact. The rest is collapsed all the way to the front.