View Single Post
Unread 02-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Hi Larz,
I received the following reply from Berryman Products today:
Marc,
We’re sorry to hear of the problem you described. Chem-Dip Carburetor and Parts Cleaner (part #0996) is safe on for use on plastic, rubber, and most paints and metals but can react with some grades of aluminum and aluminum alloys. For that reason, the product has warnings on the can specifying modest soak times for aluminum and aluminum-based parts, which is likely what your carburetor is made of. The white spots you saw were likely aluminum hydroxide or aluminum oxide—reaction products from extended soaking. For aluminum and aluminum alloy parts, we recommend that soak times be limited to 15-30 minutes per dip with a total soak time not to exceed 4 hours.
Dan

Yes, I did leave the carburetor bowl in for a few days (my bad!) but the petcock bowl was only in the "Chem Dip" for less than 10 minutes. Up until this happened I only used it for cleaning steel hardware and parts and the results have been amazing. I'm not trying to determine guilt here; my goal is to find out if the metal was already compromised before I dipped it or was the metal was adversely affected by the cleaning solution.
I can easily live without the fuel bowl since it's for a spare carburetor but I'd prefer to maintain the originality of my CA160 and not to use a modified petcock. Thanks for the offer and I'll forward some pics of the affected petcock bowl this weekend...

Last edited by marctroy; 02-24-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added info