View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Sure enough the cam chain separated again. Removed and disassembled again. Fished broken parts from the sump again.
Note at this point: The master link is the same for the starter chain and is the same as the links in the 150 motor. How do I know cause I've had to "rob" them all from my spares! I hate making the same mistake twice much less three times-
OK this reassembly (3rd): With the head removed and the cylinder and tensioner in place, i "motored" the lower end with a drill on the alternator bolt. Lower end spins freely with no noises or obvious trouble. Now I fished the cam chain into place and fastened with robbed clip from the 150 motor.Loosened the valves in case I had over adjusted. Rotated motor by hand enough times to see the chain go around twice. Next I motored the engine again with the drill. Seems ok. Go eat lunch.Come back and rotate the engine by hand again and sure enough pink again- on the bench! This time at least I think I could tell the link was near the crank when the retainer broke again. Ok three times I'm doing or have done something incorrectly. The link breaks the same each time. I am lost as to what can cause this. I did not split the bottom cases (yet) to look for contact. It seems like there must be something catching the clip and breaking it. While I've looked as best I can expect I need to split the case to find the culprit.