View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I can't say for sure but they take a beating I can tell you that. They were designed for 4wd transfer case torque and I have never worn one out with the extreme beatings that I have given mine. Someone else borrowed my damn truck without my permission to pull something and BROKE my reverse gear! yeah NICE! So my transmission is newer than my truck for sure. I've talked to a couple transmission shop owners and they say I have nothing to worry about. Or else I wouldn't have gone through the MASSIVE amount of work to adapt it to this engine. The W59s are CHEAP too if you do break one. There are kits to strengthen up I believe. I just make sure my oil is clean. I change it every 15-20,000 miles. Oil is cheap and super easy to change out of these transmissions.

I know for a fact that the Tacoma rear ends can't handle near as much abuse as the transmissions! I have a Ford 9" in my backyard just waiting for spring time. The Tacoma rear axles WILL crack with lots of medium or a little heavy offroading. If anyone has a few years of abuse I highly recommend wire brushing the rear end and inspecting it for cracks. When I was building my rear I completely stripped my rear axle and welded up some hairline cracks, tightened up the ring gear bolts (that were alarmingly LOOSE and one was completely out) and changed the seals. The 2 piece driveline is in amazingly good condition and I had it inspected and the balanced checked by a pro.