View Single Post
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I've kinda neglected to finish this topic as my 1UZ alternator is working perfectly now. The funny thing is that I assumed the alternator that came with the engine was working fine because it was operational when the car came to the end of its life (right? : ). So when I was trying different ways of hooking it up I just stepped back and said, "what the heck is going on here... it shouldn't be this difficult!?". So I thought yeah... just my luck this alternator is a gonner. I took it to have it tested and sure enough... bad. So here is another example of "this engine swap is costing my MUCH more than I thought it would..." and I thought it would cost me 2x what I originally estimated... try 5x more.

So another $200 later and I have an awesome alternator now. It came from Carquest with a test sheet that proclaimed the company works hard to manufacture quality alternators and they stand by their product. Plus on the sheet they also show the individual alternators bench test results and a little graph showing how well it puts out. Hehe.. puts out.

If you get an alternator for less than $200 I would be concerned... that's just too cheap. You just can't get a quality product for under that price. And when you buy at Carquest it's satisfaction guaranteed and they stand behind that alternator for LIFE. Seriously it's true. If this thing ever goes out... I get another new one for FREE. Same with the starter!