View Single Post
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Making a Custom Bellhousing

I just mean to help people realize what they might be getting into. Being prepared is important.
There are a couple people that are selling bellhousings for that application - or at least they are saying that they can sell them. I haven't seen one in use yet. Maybe there is one being used? I don't know.

Making a bellhousing from two = money spent on two bellhousings to make one.

You need some special tools and need to know how to use them to make one bellhousing from two. To make them mate up correctly takes a lot of measuring and double checking and thinking ahead. The fabrication of this is much more difficult.

Making one from steel = hard to find center cone but simple fabrication and easy welding.

If you can just find yourself a steel center section large enough to enclose the standard clutch and flywheel you will have the hardest part done. They are expensive as I have only seen whole bellhousings for sale. I don't know where to get just the center section. Then you just make a small plate in the shape of your transmission and then a big plate for your engine. Weld them to the cone center section and you're in business with a must stronger piece.

Both methods - Cutting the aluminum pieces to fit them together will take a few hours. Having the steel pieces cut out will be cheap and take just a few minutes by a machine.